What's new

Link between MAF sensor and DPF regen.

John Cavalier

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi, can anyone please help on a tech issue?

I have an 08 Honda Accord 2.2 idtec. The Check DPF light came on and the car went into limp mode so I had to take it to a dealer for check/reset.
I asked why I did not get the DPF pre warning (whereby you should take the car for a motorway drive for 15mins) and after diagnostic check was told the MAF sensor was just out of range.
How or can a defective MAF sensor make the ECU think the DPF is blocked?
The car was given back to me reset with the same MAF sensor and has been fine so far. Dealer sais it could be OK or may fail again, just wait and see.

Not my prefered option as most of you would probably agree, I buy Honda for its reliability.

John

John this could be just the case of a bit of dirt on the MAF
There is a good DIY hear how to clean it yourself.
The DIY is for the 7th gen but I would say its the same for the 8th gen.
There has been a couple if cases with the dpf have a look in 8th gen faults.

John,

My Accord had suffered a total DPF failure and is still awaiting a replacement DPF. In all the miles I've done (35k); I've never once seen the message come on saying a regen is needed; only the message when it's too late and in limp mode.

I dont know if this is related to a recent recall for excess oil / blow by where I believe the parameters may have been tweaked, but either way, it didnt work for me. Would be interesting to know if this is a wider issue.

Steve