What's new

load index.

walton1231

Members
Reaction score
Car
walton
I'm looking at some new wheels for the esgt. Tyre sizes are 225 40 r19 et 47 93y. The others are 225 45 r18 et 50 95y. How important is it to keep the load index at 97y. Cheers in advance guys

They are unlikely to fall apart, but you may have insurance problems following a claim if it was discovered that your tyres did not meet the load and speed rating requirements for your car.

Jon_G said:
They are unlikely to fall apart, but you may have insurance problems following a claim if it was discovered that your tyres did not meet the load and speed rating requirements for your car.
Just wondering as safety comes first with me having a family now. Do you think these would be OK with the OEM accord being 97 and obviously carrying more weight then the rx8

They're from an RX8? Smaller car, so puts less stress on the tyres... which are inadequate for the heavier Accord.

So no. They may well seem OK, but will be that bit 'less safe'.

according to kwik-fit (whatever one thinks of kwik-fit as a service, their info is correct) ....."The load index is a numerical code, which corresponds to the maximum load a tyre can carry at the speed indicated by its speed symbol, under specific service conditions" ...http://www.kwik-fit.com/writing-on-my-tyres.asp

I have 94Y on the back of my 2.4 Tourer, and 97Y on the front. But it's the speed that you travel at which is important, the faster you go, the hotter the tyres get proportional to speed (100mph will get twice as hot as 50mph), and the hotter they get, the more likely they will start to degrade.

If you look at the table in that link, you'll see the difference in load rating, and 93 still has a huge rating for the weight of the car. But as Jon said, if the tyre ever did disintegrate causing a serious accident, you'd be looking at an investigation, and the only way to be sure would be to regularly check all the tyres visually all the way round.

Maybe best advice would be at a tyre fitters.

Yeah i see what to your saying John. Been informed a pal of mine put his teg load index 87 tyres on an 1998 accord and a few weeks later both failed, literally came off from the rim. Going to go with 235 45 18 load index 98y like the type s.