What's new

Locking the car whilst the engine us running

alloy36

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CDTi
As the winter is coming up and cold weather is going to cause a lot of ice on the windscreen, i wondered if it was possible to start the car in the morning and lock it with the spare key to let it warm up whilst i'm doing breakfast?

I tried this week and couldn't get the spare key to lock it whilst one key was in the ignition, but it didn't work.

Any ideas on how i can do this?

I tried this last winter but i think its a safety device not to lock your keys in the ignition.
Perhaps there is a way to override this but i haven't found one yet.

What about pressing down the drivers door button, and shutting the door. Then unlock the door with the spare key, not remotely but with the lock. Try it the first time with the window open, just in case. I'll try it with my tourer later and let you know.

How about not leaving your keys in the car when it is unattended. You will have a whole world of other problems when you look out your window and find some scally has smashed your window and is driving off in your pride and joy. And your day will get even better when you find out your insurance won't pay out because you left the keys in the car.

Hypothetical situation of course but why risk it.

You could always get up 10 minutes earlier.

Its possible to lock the car with the engine running using the button on the drivers door. So I would ***ume that the central locking remote control is disabled as a safety feature while the keys are in the ignition.

Its possible to lock the car with the engine running using the button on the drivers door. So I would ***ume that the central locking remote control is disabled as a safety feature while the keys are in the ignition.

That's what I thought. I won't bother checking now.

I can deffo lock mine when the engine is running by using the spare key in the drivers door. Did you have all the doors closed? perhaps your door lock has seized up. Try locking using the key without the engine running first to determine. BTW I tried it first time with the window open just in case. Mine is a facelift saloon diesel.

Leaving an engine running with no one in the vehicle is a criminal offence it's also known as "quitting." the only legal way would be to buy a Key Release System which would allow the vehicle to run with the keys in but as soon as the clutch is dipped it stops the engine. Police cars have them.

I'm with Neil, I ***ume this will be in a garage or something and not on a public road? Cos that would be illegal.

Every winter someone warming their car up unattended dies by trying to stop a thief driving away, and ending up under their own front wheels.

It's just not worth it.

Maybe the use of crook locks of some description?

I'm not bothered whether it's legal or not. I don't see the police much at 2.30am on my driveway in my quiet residential street when I'm going to work. I also don't see anyone else much at that time either so the chances of the car getting nicked in my opinion are very low. Even lower with the doors locked. BTW is it illegal for skip lorry driver etc to exit his cab to operate the mechanism? It really is becoming like east Germany here... Your paperz pleeze!

Don't see police round here at any time, too busy looking for speeders on the A40.
That said I did get a rollicking years ago for leaving my car running outside my girlfriends house.

I'm not bothered whether it's legal or not. I don't see the police much at 2.30am on my driveway in my quiet residential street when I'm going to work. I also don't see anyone else much at that time either so the chances of the car getting nicked in my opinion are very low. Even lower with the doors locked. BTW is it illegal for skip lorry driver etc to exit his cab to operate the mechanism? It really is becoming like east Germany here... Your paperz pleeze!

According to AA research, more than 16 per cent of motorists admit to warming their cars on frosty mornings by leaving the engine running.

The AA points out that cars are already disappearing this winter from outside private homes. Says Clare Salmon, managing director of AA Financial Services: “Just before Christmas, 15 cars were stolen in Manchester on one frosty morning – in each case because the engine was conveniently left running, ready to be driven away."

“Car theft using the owners' ignition keys is a fast growing problem. Locks and immobilisers are becoming increasingly sophisticated so the only way to steal many cars is to use the keys. Thieves welcome icy mornings when so many people simply offer an open invitation for their car to be stolen.”

Some insurers believe that up to one in 10 stolen cars are taken because they have been left unlocked with the keys conveniently in the ignition. According to Home Office statistics, just under half of the 314,000 cars that are stolen in the UK each year are taken from outside their owners' homes. 12 per cent of all car thefts involve the use of car keys.

And if your car is stolen while it's warming up, you are likely to get a frosty reception from your insurance company. Says Salmon: “Most car insurance policies will not cover theft of your car if it has been left unlocked with the keys in the ignition yet 14 per cent of motorists in our survey didn't realise this."

“Leaving the engine running to warm the car up while you go back indoors to warm yourself up with a cup of tea is taking a huge risk – it's amazing how many people do it.”

Good luck to you. Its not about being a nanny state its common sense.

Its no different to leaving 5 grand or whatever your car cost on your door step while you have a cup of tea before going to work and hoping it is still there when you go back out. You may not see any coppers at 2am round your way but i can guarantee you that thieves don't clock off at midnight.
But its your car, You do what you like with it.

Also just to add what Neal said when i brought my new car i had some advice from Honda.They said most cars high performance cars now are being stolen by the owners key.They break in to your house to find and steal your keys because its the only way they can get through the security systems.

This exactly happended to my one of my relatives,he's house got broken into so they could take his porshe boxter and his mrs cayenne... :( i start work very early in the morning,so i do get a frosty reception when going to warm up my car,but im there throughout the whole thing(usally with a cup of tea and a smoke..lol)but i never leave it alone,even though its 3am...

or get a remote start with a clifford alarm or similar.... its fully legal and the car is sitll protected .... if someone gets in without unlocking it with the alarm key fob then the engine shuts down plus get blackjax :)

not to mention this is BAD for your engine.
You should drive it as soon as it's practical. i.e. windscreen/sides clear

not to mention this is BAD for your engine.
You should drive it as soon as it's practical. i.e. windscreen/sides clear
Indeed.
Is that because coolant is hot but oil is still cool? So your gauge reads normal and you (and the ECU) think you can drive hard but it's really still cold.

I think the figures are twisted. Notice there's no mention of cars being stolen with the engine running and the doors locked - they all mention stolen with the keys and the car unlocked, including the quote about the insurance companies not paying out.

Obviously we all need to be vigilant and protect our property but I feel it's fairly secure outside my house. I've never personally known anyone to have their car nicked while it's defrosting. Perhaps it's a different story depending on which part of the country we all live.

Get a little electric heater. Run an extension from your house, through the car window (open it a smidge) and pop in the heater. Have your brekkie then hey presto, one nicely defrosted, and more importantly WARM car when its time for the off. No car theft necessary!

I've been doing this in my old car and nobody wanted to nick that!! (says more about the car than the area i live in)

Didn't realise it was illegal

Looks like there is no easy way out. Stock up on thermal wear!!

Ps sorry about the naff heading iphone keypad!!

Bunch of fairies the lot if you :lol:

I think the figures are twisted. Notice there's no mention of cars being stolen with the engine running and the doors locked - they all mention stolen with the keys and the car unlocked, including the quote about the insurance companies not paying out.

Obviously we all need to be vigilant and protect our property but I feel it's fairly secure outside my house. I've never personally known anyone to have their car nicked while it's defrosting. Perhaps it's a different story depending on which part of the country we all live.

mate the insurance quote is true. my mate left his keys in the car while paying for fuel in a petrol station and his car was stolen and the insurance company refused to pay out. luckily it turned up a couple of days later minus the wheels.

I personally don't know anyone who has had there car stolen while it is sat outside there house with the keys in it. but then I don't know anyone rich enough to take that gamble.
is it really worth the potential hassle when you could just get up 5 minutes earlier and invest in a £3 ice scraper.
yes it is statistically unlikely to happen to you but the simple fact is that it happens so why even take the risk.?
And if you think that a locked door and a bit of glass is a good enough deterrent for a thief who wants your car then good luck to you.

I don't disagree that you'd have trouble getting an insurance company to pay out for car theft if you've left it open with the keys inside, irrespective of whether it's on your driveway, a filling station or elsewhere. However my point is that none of the figures stated anywhere mention anything whatsoever about LOCKED cars being stolen while the engine is running to defrost.

Yes I can scrape my car before starting the engine but then the inside of all the windows are completely misted (or iced for that matter) to the extent that wiping with a cloth doesn't make any difference, so I'd need to sit long enough for the bottom bit of the screen to defrost before setting off, then drive with dangerously poor visibility for the first while. For me it makes much more sense to start the engine, scrape the car, lock it, then go back into the house to finish my coffee, then set off with a chance of seeing out and a heater that's starting to get warm.

;)

What about a good car cover ?
Keeps the frost off & only takes seconds to remove.