What's new

Lockset ?

ashaddy

Members
Reaction score
Car
1999 Accord Se
The door locks aren't working on my new purchase - a 99 accord se exec auto saloon. I've got 1 key and 1 remote. The question is could I fit a lockset and from a different spec car?? Also is the transponder in the remote or in the key?

Any help will be appreciated

Cheers in advance

Ash

If the locks are the same, you should have no problem.
If you also replace the key barrel, you will have to replace the ignition barrel, otherwise you will need 2 keys, one for the doors, and other for the ignition, unless you don't want to use the key to open the doors, which might be handy someday...

Also, if you switch the ignition, I think you will have to somehow "re-program" the car to learn the new key. That or get a copy of the new key, but using the old chip, if that's possible....

If by transponder you mean the "immobilizer chip", it's on the key.

As Pedro has said mate. You can change the locks, It's exactly the same principle as changing the locks on a building door.

But as for the ignition you will need to change the barrel, but the barrel will have to come from the same car as the door locks do otherwise it'll still be cut inside for the same key that the car originally came with.

So the easiest and cheapest way to do it will be to simply change the locks, and keep the same key for the ignition. The only drawback to this is that you will then end up with 2 keys on your keyring. One to open the door and another to turn the car on.

Thanks for the help just one other question - does the key coded to the imobiliser need to be the one used in the ignition barrel or could I get awat with the original key being in the console or close to the ignition switch thus saving the hassel of getting the new key recoded?

Thanks in advance

Ash

I'm not sure, but I guess that if you have an "un-coded" key in the ignition, and the right coded key "glued" to it, that should work.

IIRC, there is something like that in the repair manual to perform some test.

Later when I get home, I can look at it and tell you.

I'm not sure, but I guess that if you have an "un-coded" key in the ignition, and the right coded key "glued" to it, that should work.

IIRC, there is something like that in the repair manual to perform some test.

Later when I get home, I can look at it and tell you.
#

Thanks I'd appreciate that - be great if I could hide the key under the dash or attach it to the steering column.

Ash

You can always remove the "chip scanner" from the ignition barrel, hide it into the steering column, and glue the old key inside of it.

It's part 11 on this diagram:

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17S1A11&block_02=B__1100&block_03=2296

Ash, you have a private message.

As I told you, it's possible to put the engine working with a un-programmed key in the ignition, and a key known by the ECU glued with duct tape to the other one. It's used to test other ECU on the car.

Also, the "key scanner" can be easily detached from the ignition barrel, so I guess you should have no problem doing what you want.

Let us know how it goes ;)