What's new

long crank to start. 2004 accord 2.4 ex

wellingbadboy

Members
Reaction score
Car
2004 accord 2.4 ex
hi all. i have the car mentioned in the ***le. its done 45k since new with a full main dealer service. well the problem is in the mornings i find that the car takes around 3/4 seconds to start. my 2008 civic starts almost instantly. and sometimes when its hot it starts almost instantly other than the bad start in the morning the car drives really good no hesitations, misfires etc...
any help ideas woild be great. thanks

Cool thanks for the reply.
was thinking of changing my plugs. would valve clearance affect starting though? Do you have the same issues with your car?

Well... No cos my car is fine.. I'm.not an expert on the k24 yet.. I go by knowledge from really old bmw engines and basic knowledge that you need three things to make an engine go .. Fuel spark and compression.

That's why I ask you to check the valve clearances and the spark plugs as your obv getting fuel.

I maybe wrong but there is no harm in checking esp if you haven't done the plugs or the clearances in a while

Sparks ... When we're they changed?

Well that's a good starting point. I've a 2004 and changed the sparks (although mileage was higher at 63k) made a difference to crank time and overall response

Ah multiple threads - yep basics of combustion. Air, fuel and spark!

It does have a filter in the tank - but I would start with sparks as these are a quick fix. What is suspicious is that you mention all is ok when hot. If the filter was restricting flow it would be the same under the different engine conditions and load

Bought some ngks . hope its does the trick.

Inspect the ones you take out, if they're in there 8 years, there should be a big difference. Either way, they are up for replacement.

mine also a 2.4 and same year, no problems starting, changed the plugs soon after i got in in march but before i done that i had no problems.

dodgey HT leads?

mind you thats suspiciously low milage for your year...

Turn the ignition on and wait 3 to 4 seconds before cranking, see if that makes a difference

No HT leads in the Accord - coil on plug setup. If the coils were failing to fire you'd get rough running at other times as well and probably a CEL.

Good idea re the leave 3-4 seconds

mine also a 2.4 and same year, no problems starting, changed the plugs soon after i got in in march but before i done that i had no problems.

dodgey HT leads?

mind you thats suspiciously low milage for your year...

i doubt my dad clocks cars ;-)

Just changed the spark plugs. it has made a difference in starting and the car feels a bit sharper. thanks chaps

haha

if you got it from legit source well in, a honda with that much miles is practically brand new they take about 50-60k to even wear in.

even 80k is nothing on them.

Mileage means nothing mate. if a car does alot of short trips with alot of of stop starts but mileage is low you still have to change parts. thats why service intervals state mileage or age.