What's new

Looking at 8th gen petrols.

TheJamMod

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hi, so I'm hunting down 2.0 petrols. What am I looking out for on the 2008 model? I've seen a ES GT model, and I really like the look of it, but it's done 60K - wondering what kind of work will need doing at this mileage?

If it's got a good service history it should hopefully be okay...it might need new tyres and brakes and a thorough service though.

The main issue I know of is the rusty sunroof but that's only on the EX.

I've got a 2008 8th gen 2.0 petrol. Mine has 69000 mile on it now.

All going well, chain cam, so doesnt need changing. Just had my front discs and pads done, so check them, £250 from Honda. Nothing else has gone wrong, just routine servicing. Had a new battery before I bought it.

Watch for chipping on the front bumper, the paint seems to chip easily, also the spoiler gets grounded, so have a look underneath. Decent tyres start at £120 each for 17", so check it has some life left in them. Also check if the windscreen side trims have been fixed back, there is a Honda recall for this, see earlier post in 8th gen section.

Other than that, not much to check for, back brakes calipers can drag, it'll do 40mpg on the motorway, mid 30's around town, revvy, needs 5k revs to really shift.

Thanks, rich.

Seems that I don't have to worry about the petrols. Is it easy to park with the camera? Sitting inside one, I found the rearview to be useless! I can't imagine owning one of these without a reverse parking aid.

With the parking sensors and the camera it's the easiest car iv ever owned to park.

I totally agree with Brett, it's extremely easy to park if you have the rear view camera and parking sensors, the left handside wing mirror also tilts down so you can curb check too!

I've got a 2008 8th gen 2.0 petrol. Mine has 69000 mile on it now.

All going well, chain cam, so doesnt need changing. Just had my front discs and pads done, so check them, £250 from Honda. Nothing else has gone wrong, just routine servicing. Had a new battery before I bought it.

Watch for chipping on the front bumper, the paint seems to chip easily, also the spoiler gets grounded, so have a look underneath. Decent tyres start at £120 each for 17", so check it has some life left in them. Also check if the windscreen side trims have been fixed back, there is a Honda recall for this, see earlier post in 8th gen section.

Other than that, not much to check for, back brakes calipers can drag, it'll do 40mpg on the motorway, mid 30's around town, revvy, needs 5k revs to really shift.

The front spoiler was loose and it required new brake pads all round. I decided to walk away.

I was offered 4k for EX ctdi.

Pads are about £200 front and rear from Honda, so not a major issue or expense.

The front spoiler is held on with screws, clips and double sided foam tape, so not too hard to fix back on, as long as it isnt split.

How many miles has yours done?

Pads are about £200 front and rear from Honda, so not a major issue or expense.

The front spoiler is held on with screws, clips and double sided foam tape, so not too hard to fix back on, as long as it isnt split.

How many miles has yours done?

68k. I've done twenty k in two years

How much did they want for the 8th gen?

£7775

It's still available, but I want to hold out and see what other Accords crop up. EX model is still my preference.

Mine must have been a bargain, got my ES GT 5 months or so ago for £6800 with 50 on the clock and a service every 5k miles

Petrols particularly 2.4's are damn rare.
The estate is pretty easy to park with a reversing camera (what did we do before these...... err turn around!!). It's not quite as easy our other self parallel parking car. That's a cool gimmick.