What's new

Looking at a 2.4 Tourer after some advice

scoobysn7x

Reaction score
Car
none
First of all hello to everyone, I am a potential accord owner and I'm just after some guidance, I'm in the market for a new car and have seen a 2003 Accord 2.4Vtec tourer auto and its very appealing as it looks nice and has the leather and all the toys I'm after, as it a Honda I know it will be reliable but I just wanted to check are there any known fault / issues that I need to look out for, its on about 74k is there a timing belt etc to worry about. Also the seller has mentioned it had a advisory on the mot for "the right & left front suspension arm rubber bush (deteriorated but not resulting in excess movement" does anyone know if this will be an expensive fix if it needs doing for the next MOT?. Finally are the tourers nice to drive and is the 2.4 a better option overall than the 2.0?

Thanks in advance

Just a warning - the 75k service is expensive, with Honda usually quoting £400 or more (my local dealer quoted over £500!). If the service has not been done yet, you may want to use that to get the price lower.

First of all hello to everyone, I am a potential accord owner and I'm just after some guidance, I'm in the market for a new car and have seen a 2003 Accord 2.4Vtec tourer auto and its very appealing as it looks nice and has the leather and all the toys I'm after, as it a Honda I know it will be reliable but I just wanted to check are there any known fault / issues that I need to look out for, its on about 74k is there a timing belt etc to worry about. Also the seller has mentioned it had a advisory on the mot for "the right & left front suspension arm rubber bush (deteriorated but not resulting in excess movement" does anyone know if this will be an expensive fix if it needs doing for the next MOT?. Finally are the tourers nice to drive and is the 2.4 a better option overall than the 2.0?

Thanks in advance

Welcome

I have a 2.4 Type S Tourer. I hadn't planned to buy a 2.4 due to the not so good econ figures as the 2.0. My car came along at hte right price @3yrs old with under 30K on it. It's a real giggle to drive when you get on the open roads - Oh did I have fun last summer on the Welsh mtn rds :D :D I only about 13K a year so I'm not too fussed about the running costs.

My car has just about reached 80K & apart from annual servicing, it's hardly needed anything doing until some bad pot-holed roads left my pride and joy somewhat damaged, and me with an unplanned hole in my wallet :(

So in answer to your question:

1. No timing belt - it's a chain, but i'm sure more of the technical minded peeps will have more input.
2. As for the advisory note on the MOT - when was the last MOT? It may be ok til your next MOT or service...It may not be a case of mileage left in the part but time! get some quotes for the work by ringing a dealer.
3. I've had some rear bushes changed - antiroll bars I think.....they cost me around 75quid a side - Honda agent price

I've driven both petol estate versions whilst I was looking round - I am pleased with my 2.4. My Type S doesn't have all the toys that the EXEC model has, but I can't say I miss them. Does the car you're looking at have the 17" rims? They DO look better on the bigger rims...

As for the auto box....I've never had one so I can't really come it. I've driven my dad's 2.0 saloon auto once......that turned out to be a scary experience :ph34r: Let's just say as I accelerated away, I tried changing gear :( :( thought i was still in my own car - thank goodness no-one was following me!!

I have found that the handling of the car (even when fully laden) is still very good. If you aren't going to be doing huge annual mileage you may want to go for the 2.4.

I will admit it IS thirsty round town and on short journeys, but on the motorway & no roof load you can get a good mpg rtn out of it.

Hope all this helps and happy hunting!

Just been through the same thing myself, replaced my 2.5 V6 MG ZT-T with a 2.4 Exec Tourer about 4 months ago. Found a very low mileage (23K) 53 which I paid over the odds for but I keep my cars for at least 5 years so even after that it should still have less than 100k on it. Had to have the 75k service (done on age not miles) which worked out at £355. Very happy with the 2.4 engine. Power is 10bhp up on the MG, 190 vs 180 but power delivered very differently and much better suited to auto box. MG needed to be revved hard to get a move on Honda delivers much lower down. MPG slightly better with Honda 24-28 around town compared to 23-25 on MG.