What's new

Loose steering,vibration.

Laslo

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.2
Hi,I am Laslo.I have recently joined to this forum. I bought an Accord 2.2 icdti year 2006 ex saloon 5 months ago. I got 3 problem with the accord. It is got vibration at just idle,steering wheel,dashboard,doors.There is 95000 miles in that.Can be flywheel or just a motor mount? The other thig is,on uneven road the steering feels loose compare to other cars.Steering wheel is not tight enough.Anather is the passanger side around door maybe window is noisy vibrating. I took for a service and mot and passed without advisory.Strange because the steering I think is not ok.Any suggestions?Thanks.

With the uneven road check your tyres for uneven wear mainly at the rear.
You might need a 4 wheel alignment.

Hi!Thank,but why is that happening when I take my hands off the steering wheel on uneven road the car goes everywhere controls itself.And a vibration at idle in cabin is not good for a Honda.Thanks. I had laser alignment they said everything is ok.Thanks.

Mine feels the same even after changing bushes and droplinks and having hunter alignment. It still pulls to the left it feels horrible to drive.It feels notchy as you turn corners as well . I'd like to drive another 2.2d tourer just to see if my car is particularly bad or I'm making it seem worse.

As above, drop links and bushes. Maybe a roll bar. Nothing too serious.

Mine feel same.steering feel loose.2.2 ictdi.sport.Had drop link changed and 4 wheels computer alignment.didn't help.

Mines the 2.0 petrol and its the same. Had 4 wheel alignment done and didn't make much difference. I think it's just the way they're made. I've always thought the steering is the biggest let down on the 7 th gen Accord.

Yes mine is the same (2.0 petrol) steering drops to the left and is twitchy on bumpy roads , I'm getting 2 new Michelin pilot sport tyres on the front next week and will have tracking done, I'll let you guys know if there is any improvement. I have heard though it's common on 17inch wheels

Hi all, honda 6th and 7th gen is known to have power stearing leakage problems. When this happens, the symptoms could be simillar to your description. To check it, take a look on the whole power steering circuit (the pipes, the pump and the gearbox itself). If you pull up the bonnet, you can see the P.S. gearbox right beneath & below the engine. Inspect all the P.S. circuit for any leakage. Then to be sure, put the steering wheel max to the right and have a look at the the tie rod dust seal on the left side. Be sure to turn the wheel on the left side max as well, and check the other opposite seal. Check for visible deformations, put some toilet paper or similar smooth paper and check whether theres some sign of fresh PSF leakage. If you can jack the car up, it's much easier to see whether the gearbox is fine or not.
Just to be sure, check the steering column bolt inside the car as well. If the P.S. circuit is okay, let the steering column adjust take place.

Hope it can help you a bit.
Martin

The vibration at idle could be a worn engine mount or could very well be a worn/damaged dual mass flywheel. How is the clutch on the car? does it slip?

The 7th gen accord is notorious for tram lining - this is where the car tends to follow the crevices and grooves of the road resulting in the car wondering itself.
A solution to this is either to fit smaller 16inch wheels or if you have the 17s go for a XL (reinforced) tyre and one with extra load preferably a 94 load tyre

I used to have alot of tramlining whilst running uniroyal tyres - they were really soft and had a low load rating and no XL rating - since upgrading i hardly feel any tram lining now.

But as mentioned - check drop links and stabilizer bushes

I ***ume the car hasn't had a knock up front which can cause damage to the chassis etc.
Hope it helps

It seems this pull to the left is a very common problem on the 7th gen accords. I've had mine since 2012 and its always pulled to the left. First thing i did was to get rid of the low profile tyres, thats if you have 17" alloys. So you go from 225/45/17 to 225/50/17 XL's and that helped so much with the pulling. It still pulls, but not as much and is a better drive, the bigger tyres (50's) hold the road much better! I know your pain guys, it use to hurt my hand holding the wheel to the right all the time. Give it a go with the bigger tyres aswell as what others have recommended above.

You can also try different power steering fluid's, there are different mixtures you can use to help with steering, hard compound or softer compounds.