What's new

Loose Sunroof Seal/Gasket (Not a rust issue)

Jack Sparrow

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2
Hi all,

I got my 8th Gen accord this weekend. So far I love it.

However i noticed it had a lumpy sunroof seal, which I knew would most likely be due to the classic rust issue.

So I opened the sunroof to find....zero rust. Great I thought.

However, the sunroof seal is that loose that when I tried to close it it came off. I then tried to put it back into place but every time I try to close it it would fold up on itself and come off again.

The missus and I result in us closing it bit by bit and edging the seal in more.

Anybody had any experience with this? I know that Honda don't supply the seal separately (stupidly). What are my options?

It's almost a good centimeter too loose around the perimeter of the sunroof.

Thanks,

Jack

A DIY solution would be to get a tube of some of that black windscreen sealant from Halfords, smear some inside the loose bit and stick it back. Probably have to leave the roof closed for a bit so it can dry.

richsprint said:
A DIY solution would be to get a tube of some of that black windscreen sealant from Halfords, smear some inside the loose bit and stick it back. Probably have to leave the roof closed for a bit so it can dry.
I am tempted to cut the sunroof seal at the rear to bring the seal in tighter, and then tigerseal it back onto the glass

I remember there was grease around the seal, is this normal?

If it is not normal, maybe somebody had done a DIY fix and removed too much of the glass?