What's new

Low beam Dipped Headlight bulbs keep blowing

Paul_C

Reaction score
Car
2006 2.2 Cdti Saloon
Hi Guys

I really hope someone can help with this

A few days ago, one of my low beam dipped headlights went, with the other going the next day.
Had both changed at the same time.
3 Days later they both blew again (within hours of each other)

Had both changed again yesterday using a different brand of bulbs to the 1st time, and both have blown again today within 20 mins of each other.

I've been reading some of the others posts. The glass has not been touched.

Don't know if its connected, but since the day i picked up the car following an oil service a month ago, all the windows inside the car are constantly steamed up & radio signal has a lot of interference. When when you press the rear screen demist the radio reception is totally distorted.

Its stressing me out, can anyone point me in the right direction regarding the bulb issue and tell me if these are related.

Thanks

With my limited understanding it sounds like some kind of earthing issue. Would the garage have unplugged the battery or fiddled with any connectors for any reason?

In what way the lamps failing? If the glass is cracking then it's either a manufacturing error or water getting into the headlamp housing... if the filament is falling apart then it might be vibration caused by a loose headlamp.

A bad connection would cause flickering. If the alternator is pushing out too much voltage then this will cause other electrical problems/failures.

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago with having to keep changing headlamps. Lots of H1s seem to be badly made!

Steamed windows are common this time of year. Running the air con will help keep them clear. Is your coolant level ok? A small leak into the cabin could cause excess moisture. Are your carpets dry? You may have a door / window / sun roof leak.

Halogens run on the ragged edge. Their life shortens exponentially when over driven by only a few hundred millivolts. I don't know how handy you are, but I'd pop the bonnet and look for loose / corroded / otherwise bad connections around the battery, alternator and earthing points. It couldn't hurt to disconnect the battery, clean up the terminals and connectors and tightly refit, with a smear of vaseline over the top to keep the moisture out.

The radio distortion when you put a load on the system (rear demist) might be indicative of an electrical fault too.

Do you have (access to) a decent multimeter. With the engine stopped your battery will read close to 12v (might be a little more for a 'good' battery that's just come off charge). With the engine running (just off idle, say 1500rpm) you should be getting 13.8 to 14.0 volts (that said I've just measured mine at 14.4V) and that should be more or less constant up the rev range.

After a run during the day (i.e with no lights or other heavy load) is the battery or alternator unusually warm? A hot battery might suggest a knack'd regulator, with the battery doing its best to soak up the extra power.

Or, as Jon suggests, you may just have been sold some rubbish bulbs!

Report back if / when you get a resolution.

I had an H1 blow and went for the cheapskate Halfords lamps as a replacement. Absolute carp.

First one lasted just 2 months despite light summer use, the second just a week despite me handling the lamps very carefully so as not to touch the glass whilst fitting (which is a simple job ***uming you have a 10 mm spanner and hands like a gynaecologist's clerk LOL)

Went for a pair of Osram (?) Nightbreakers obtained from Eurocarparts at around the same cost and they are brighter and still fine touchwood.

Cheers
Robin

I had a problem with my dipped beam bulbs blowing on my 2003 Accord. Several people suggested changing the fuse for good quality, new ones. In desperation I tried it and it's over 18 months since a bulb blew. It's worth a try for the cost involved.

Paul_C said:
Hi Guys

I really hope someone can help with this

A few days ago, one of my low beam dipped headlights went, with the other going the next day.
Had both changed at the same time.
3 Days later they both blew again (within hours of each other)

Had both changed again yesterday using a different brand of bulbs to the 1st time, and both have blown again today within 20 mins of each other.

I've been reading some of the others posts. The glass has not been touched.

Don't know if its connected, but since the day i picked up the car following an oil service a month ago, all the windows inside the car are constantly steamed up & radio signal has a lot of interference. When when you press the rear screen demist the radio reception is totally distorted.

Its stressing me out, can anyone point me in the right direction regarding the bulb issue and tell me if these are related.

Thanks
Hi, you ever find out what the problem was?
I have the same problem with both cheap and quality bulbs, been through 3 sets now in a matter of about 2 months.
Plus I have the same problem of interference to the radio when using back screen de mister