What's new

Low idle when warm

Pukka

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 1.8
Hello ive just recently serviced our 1.8 accord (oil change, air filter and new spark plugs). Upon start up from cold it runs fine (running just above 1000rpm), but once the tempurture guage starts moving it then idles around 500rpm and upon bliping the throttle the engine almost stalls before returning to idling at 500.

I have read up about disconnecting the idle control valve and reseting the ecu, but to no result. One thing that was mentioned was adjusting the 'base' idle, but i dont seem to have an adjusting screw, is this something that is only found on the american market or different models?

Is there anything anyone could suggest

Thanks in advance

Try to learn the idle:

1 - Disconect the battery for a couple of hours, or remove the clock fuse in the passenger under tray for a couple of minutes.
2 - Start the engine and let it running at 3000 rpm until the radiator fans turn on twice.
3 - Let the engine idle correctly.

Now check if it's ok. If it did not worked, clean both IACV, thottle boty, EGR and EGR plate.

Also, are you using the correct spark plugs?

Try to learn the idle:

1 - Disconect the battery for a couple of hours, or remove the clock fuse in the passenger under tray for a couple of minutes.
2 - Start the engine and let it running at 3000 rpm until the radiator fans turn on twice.
3 - Let the engine idle correctly.

Now check if it's ok. If it did not worked, clean both IACV, thottle boty, EGR and EGR plate.

Also, are you using the correct spark plugs?

I have done the reset by pulling the backup fuse and then just letting it idle until the fan kicked in which didnt work so ill try it your way. If not ill get onto cleaning the idle valve/throttle body. Does the EGR operate under idle as i was under the impression it only operated into the higher rpms? i will try to give it a clean anyway just to rule it out.

The Spark plugs im using are Ngk ZFR6F-11 which i beleive are the correct ones

Thanks for your help

Does the EGR operate under idle as i was under the impression it only operated into the higher rpms? i will try to give it a clean anyway just to rule it out.

I am not sure, but it's better clean it, just to be sure.
Yeah, that's the right plugs.

Also check the distributor cap and rotor and give it a clean.

I have done the reset by pulling the backup fuse and then just letting it idle until the fan kicked in which didnt work so ill try it your way. If not ill get onto cleaning the idle valve/throttle body. Does the EGR operate under idle as i was under the impression it only operated into the higher rpms? i will try to give it a clean anyway just to rule it out.

Thanks for your help

Cleaning the EGR Valve and Plate on my 1.8 made a huge difference to the idle. It was rough before I did it and is now smooth. I believe the EGR is always working otherwise there would be a big chance that your car would fail emissions testing during the MOT/NCT emissions idle test

Andy

Just cleaned the thottle body and idle control valve. The valve wasnt too bad but there were very thick deposits over the back of the butterfly. I also noticed there was a little dirt/corrsion between a few of the sensor conections. Decided to see if there was any improvement just by doing this and there was! Its now idling fine again cold and warm and doesnt feel like its going to stall after using the throttle.

Cleaning the EGR Valve and Plate on my 1.8 made a huge difference to the idle. It was rough before I did it and is now smooth. I believe the EGR is always working otherwise there would be a big chance that your car would fail emissions testing during the MOT/NCT emissions idle test

Andy

I didnt get round to cleaning the EGR components but definitely seems like a job worth doing so ill hopefully get around to doing it over the summer

Thanks for your help :D

Looks like all your questions have been answered B)

But i'll just reiterate how important a job it is to clean the IACV and the plate. It really makes a huge difference on the F series engines.