What's new

Lowered Yesterday, Tyre rubbing probs

TIPEX9

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
vtec-s
Hi all, Had my Accord finally lowered yesterday but now there is some tyre rubbing. :(

It was lowered 30mm on Apex springs and looks great but i thing i will have to change tyre sizes. At the moment its on 225/40/18's which i think is to big/wide anyway. Good thing is i need to replace the front 2 anyway and i was thinking maybe 215/35/18 may sort my problem?

Any advice guys? :unsure:

Where are they rubbing because if you changing the width and profile your rolling radios will suffer big time.
Normally if you go smaller on the width like 215 then you need to go higher in your profile to compensate

Where are they rubbing because if you changing the width and profile your rolling radios will suffer big time.
Normally if you go smaller on the width like 215 then you need to go higher in your profile to compensate

Cheers Brett, rears seem to be rubbing on outside edge, not when travelling but over bumps/ dips etc.

Fronts are hard to say, similar to rear but maybe on lock aswell

Agreed with Brett, you have the wrong tyre profile now. Had the same issue with other cars in the past. Sometimes it can also just be design of the tyre too. I did a tyre rotation on a previous vehicle and it began to rub because they were different brand of tyres

I had 235/40r17 Michelin re050 on rear last year(no lowering springs) and had no rubbing issue... This year I tried Dunlop sport maxx with the same profile and have the same problem as you... sold them and changed to 225/45 same brand. And have no rubbing again... So its a proof that some tires have same marking but different profile..

here is good tyre calculator http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp check your tyre against stock accord tyre size before buying, as it results in wrong speedometer result :) I believe 215/40R18 must be suitable 4u if you go for 215. but I think you need to check how much tyre is to close to fender... you can do this by lifting opposite front wheel and checking gap/overlap. with 215 tyres you will win only 5mm more place so be careful

http://www.rimsntires.com/packages.jsp?req=newCar&carYear=1999&carMake=Honda&carModel=Accord%204%20cyl this site says that R18 7.5J ET40 rims and 215/40 tires fits our accords... Hope its true :)

if your offset on these wheels is less than 45 you may have still rubbing after when 215 are fitted so bear that in mind ;)

All great posts on here so far dude.

This is the problem with 18s on the 7th gen. You really need to be careful which tyres you go for.

Try the site that Linas has recommended first and see if you czn get an answer off there. If not, think you're gonna have to try 215/35s. It really is just trial and error....unless the configure things on that site works. Which tbh, 99% of the time, they're spot on.

My old 6th gens steelies were 16 and were 7J wide. I then changed to 17" alloys that were 7.5J, and a configure site helped me get the tyres that were spot on, and still gave the correct rolling radius.