What's new

LPG anyone?

riot68

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 type s tourer
Was talking to a friend who's LPG converting his Lexus and began to think It may be a good idea for my type s tourer, plenty of space in spare wheel well for a tank and cheaper end being only 4 cylinder. Anyone else looked in to it or better still had it done, any thoughts? cheers...

I've been running on lpg on my 6th gen 2.3 Type-V for the last 2 years, never had any problems.

My only recommendations are to find a reputable installer, ask if they have done Honda's already (especially same model as yours), they should have photos etc if you can't see it in the flesh.

If they say flashlube isn't needed then be wary. It is my understanding that all Honda's need it and in the grand scheme of things the price is negligible compared to the cost of the system.

Prins or BRC are the better manufacturers (or they were 2 years ago). You want the intake manifold removed from the car when it is drilled (some drill it on the car so there is a risk of metal shards entering the engine).

Can't think of anything else at the mo...

I am running my year 2000 1.8 Accord on LPG for about 3/4 years, and so far it's running great. I have a BRC kit installed and covered about 70000kms with no problems. Here in Portugal, the price for the installation of a 4 cylinder engine is about 1500€. I got the investment back in about 15/20MKms...

As Colin already mentioned, get a very good and certified LPG installer. If he is competent and a serious guy, he will choose the best for your car.
Also, Flashlube is mandatory for our cars, preferably an electronic one, which adapts it self to the engine speed. I fitted the Flashlube electronic kit when it came out, and since then I never had the need to adjust the valve lash.

Other than that, all I can say is: Go for it.

If you want any more info of the system or any pictures, let me know.

thanks for all the info, seems the way to go, just need to do some more research while I save up.

One last thing, what's the difference in power? LPG sites say not much, however have heard people say you'll loose 20%.

thanks again...

If the system is installed correctly and finned tuned, the performance losses are not noticeable by the driver...

There shouldn't be a noticeable loss of power with larger engines.

The 20% that you have been reading is efficiency, and is only a "up to"figure. You will burn more lpg then you would petrol, on mine I could get 32mpg on petrol but I get 27-28mpg on lpg, a loss of about 15%. But the cost is almost 50% less.