What's new

MAF & MAP Sensor Cleaning & IMRC Valve Cleaning

Symptoms have been a hefty smoke on flooring the pedal ( though its been remapped ) and the engine check light popping up every now and then. But last week I had a few episodes of stalling when coming off the motorway plus irratic idling.

Today I stripped and cleaned the MAF ( in its casing as I don't have 5-point torx bits ), then took off the IMRC valve. Wow..it was crud city :-

accord-crud001.jpg

accord-crud005.jpg

accord-crud010.jpg

accord-crud012.jpg

Its since had a spin and seems to drive okay. Time will tell whether the engine check light pops up again...

Nice job Ian,

Who did the re-map ?

Did you clean up the MAP sensor?

To clean the MAF you really need to take it out,

Was the butterfly valve a little bit sticky, that could restrict movement?

Just for information, I did the same with the pre-face lift model, and the MAF and MAP sensors are identical, the IMRC Valve is slightly different as the pre-facelift version is in two separate parts (one being the valve construction, the other being the plenum chamber). Both are connected using the same three bolts, with a gasket threaded between them, so no additional work other than either replacing this gasket or wiping it down (which worked fine for me).

Well over the last week in stages Ive cleaned my EGR and the IMRC plus the sensors. I want to thank Carl for the DIY as its gave me great direction of how to proceed.

As I suspected the parts where not very dirty at all just a bit of gunk around the EGR section to the inlet manifold, but I think preventative measures are always a good idea.

Thanks again to Carl B)

I took out my MAF sensor lastnight and gave it a good spray with MAF cleaner and left it overnight to dry, i refitted it earlier and only turned the car over 10 mins ago and now my engine management light has stayed on! :|
it revs over 2k so i dont think im in limp mode, is this normal? i.e will it go after a few minutes on tick over?, what could it be :S

false alarm, i let the car run for 10 mins and just went to check and it has gone (phew) Your heart goes when you start seeing engine management lights

I took out my MAF sensor lastnight and gave it a good spray with MAF cleaner and left it overnight to dry, i refitted it earlier and only turned the car over 10 mins ago and now my engine management light has stayed on! :|
it revs over 2k so i dont think im in limp mode, is this normal? i.e will it go after a few minutes on tick over?, what could it be :S

Good to see from your later post that the EML has gone out.

It didn't do this for me and also if there is an issue with the MAF it will throw it into limp mode (well if you disconnect it, it does)

Did you do anything else to the car at the same time, where you may have knocked something?