What's new

Magnetic sump plug and transmission drain plug

rhyeung

Members
Reaction score
Car
SPORT TOURER
Hi, as TA, I didn't see any thread saying about protecting engine by using manetic sump plug...I'm interesting on you guys ever use this...any advice will be appreciated....

Hi, as TA, I didn't see any thread saying about protecting engine by using manetic sump plug...I'm interesting on you guys ever use this...any advice will be appreciated....
Yep Ray its on hear somewhere.IMO its a good thing as the better you can filter the engine oil from metal deposits the longer its going to last.

I am pretty sure that the transmission has magnetic sump plug as standard! I know that the autobox does!

I am pretty sure that the transmission has magnetic sump plug as standard! I know that the autobox does!
As far as I know the manual transmission drain plug isn't magnetic...guys have a long on this any good?
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=260835775296&index=17&nav=SEARCH&nid=96385390479

Way to expensive IMHO. I have a magnetic bolt and it doesn't collect squat. We have aluminium engines anyway ;).

Dan,if our accord has aluminium engine, that means magnetic sump plug won't collect squat and because useless....

Suppose it depends what part of your engine is falling apart. If it's the aluminium block then no, is it's something else then it should me magnetic.

But regular oil changes should get rid of the bits anyway won't they?

the casing might be aluminum but the moving parts are not lol

True enough for most of them... but how much if those do you want to see sloshing around in your engine? ;).

All that aside, look at the surface area of the sump compared to the area if the bolt and volume of oil. Now consider the strength if the magnetism and I would think that it to catch anything significant your engine would be in a pretty bad way.

I looked at some on the net last year.
The expensive bolt had a larger mag about 100mm.
the cheap ones were 30mm so probably do nothing.

I looked at some on the net last year.
The expensive bolt had a larger mag about 100mm.
the cheap ones were 30mm so probably do nothing.
hi, I want to get the best magnetic.. if you use the good one could you recommend which one pls... Cheers

hi, I want to get the best magnetic.. if you use the good one could you recommend which one pls... Cheers

most of the bikes ive had in the past have magnetic sump plus, all engines should have them. Must be coppers for the manufactures to fit them on the pruduction line

Well I shall stand partly corrected.

Actually found some crud stuck to my sump plug today. Not a vast amount - the sort of pinch of salt on your dinner - kind of amount... but crud nonetheless.

Well I shall stand partly corrected.

Actually found some crud stuck to my sump plug today. Not a vast amount - the sort of pinch of salt on your dinner - kind of amount... but crud nonetheless.

Same here. Probably nothing to worry about, but once the plug is there, can't do any harm.

I've always wandered why manufacturers don't use these as standard so there must be a reason..

I read somewhere that it was not advisable to use them as they gather any grindings together and can end up causing more damage than if they were allowed to pass as smaller individual bits.. I'm not sure how true this is but it might be something to look into