Members
Reaction score
Car
7th gen 2008
found this link

http://www.wikihow.com/Modify-the-Navigation-System-of-an-Acura

and then this link

http://www.linuxkiddies.com/projects/navi/

looks like you can play around with the background - not really read too much - just got excited and had to post about it.

You could do this but you would then have to put the modified software on a copy disc which is well known for burning out the drives.

As Matt said

You could do this but you would then have to put the modified software on a copy disc which is well known for burning out the drives.
I doubt if that will happen.

A very succinct summary of what the link says ....
1. Turn the ignition key tp start the Satnav in the car with the OEM DVD in the drive, get into the diagnosis screen and press the Version button to see which BIN file it lists
2. Remove the DVD and switch off the car ignition
3. Take the DVD to a PC, copy the BIN files (9 of them) into the PC, and modify the BIN file you saw in step 1 (I think you may need some special software)
4. Burn the BIN files to a new DVD
5. Go back to the car and turn the ignition key tp start the Satnav in the car with the OEM DVD in the drive, get into the diagnosis screen and press the Version button then eject the OEM DVD and replace it with the new DVD from step 4.
6. Load the BIN file from the new DVD, which it will load, then it will display an error message (I presume because there are no map files)
7. eject the new DVD and replace the OEM DVD
8. Turn off the ignition, then switch on again and the system will run as normal, except whatever you did to modify the BIN file will come up on the display ....eg HELLO FREDDOFROG ???

i.e. you only have the copy disc in long enough to load the modified BIN file. Apart from that, you keep the OEM DVD.

I presume that the BIN file is held in memory in the Satnav, and all you are doing is modifying that BIN file, and the system still gets the map files from the OEM DVD.

Oh dear, I went out to the car, got into the diagnosis screen, but sadly there is no Version button. Most of the other buttons, shown in the picture of the Acura diagnosis (001.jpg) in the link, are there.

I then took the DVD out and put it into my PC and the file system is totally different from the file system shown in the picture of the file system (005.jpg) in the link.

I opened some of the small files on the DVD into Notepad, but they mainly have binary in them, and I could not see the "welcome screen" message anywhere in the files. So it seems likely that the "welcome message" is in ROM in the Satnav :(

EDIT: Although ! could tell be looking through the DVD, to be 100% certain I've also downloaded the "Dumpnavi" program and used that to search the DVD for any BIN files or BMP files. There are no BIN files, and 1 BMP file. I copied that BMP to my PC and tried to open it with Dumpnavi but Dumpnavi said it's the wrong size BMP.

so this won't work for us ? i was just getting my hopes up that i could change the start up screen :(