What's new

Manifold and Timing Chain Warranty Repair

alloy36

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CDTi
Hi all,

I've just got my car back this week after having the timing chain and manifold sorted by Hepworth Honda in Huddersfield. I noticed straight away that the car starts up much better almost instantly whereas before it did take a second of cranking. So I am pleased on that front. The car was also washed and cleaned so all good.

I've heard good things about Huddersfield Honda and think the technical guys are very good (by reading people's posts on here), but the receptionist is ****** awful.

When I went to get my car there was an invoice on the receptionist desk which had my name and address on and I presume a list of the parts that had been replaced. As I almost touched the paper to pick it up, the receptionist dragged the paper away from the desk and said "thats not for you" When I queried if there was any paperwork to state what work had been done she said as it was a warranty job, there is no paperwork. I remember someone mentioned that they had some paperwork for their warranty jobs and my brother has always received paperwork for his warranty work from other dealers (not Honda) so I don't understand what the problem was.

I only want the paperwork for my own records as the car came with all details of work arried out to date and I like to keep all paperwork. (My car even came with invoices for things like tyres). Also, as I understand that I have a 12 month warranty on repairs I would feel more comfortable if I had some paperwork to show what work had been done. Am I being unreasonable?

I was also charged £72 for putting the claim through to Honda UK. Again, my brother has never had to pay a dealer to put a claim through to claim on warranty. When I questioned it, the receptionist said "well you are getting a £1000 worth of work done for free" - what the hell has this got to do with anything? If everyone gets charged then fine. I was almost made to feel as if I was ripping Honda off!!

However, I don't mind paying if my car gets sorted.

The car has also developed a whirring noise from the alternator belt area. I'm hoping that this just goes but if not I may have to go back to them. I truly do not want to go back to them. Its a shame really as there seem to be good technical guys there.

So is there anything I could do to stop the whirring noise from the alternator belt area? Any suggestions?

Apologies if this sounds like a personal rant at an individual, but I don't feel like dealing with them again. Did other people get paperwork for warranty repairs? Should I just forget it or write to the service manager (I don't feel like ringing them)?

Its a shame really as I was considering getting a spaceship style civic for 'er indoors and a good dealership on my doorstep would have been useful.

I had my manifold just done. No paperwork for me too ... although I've failed to ask and thought about it later ... but I am sure there will be a record. Will check with HH next week.

On the payment side, wasn't asked for a single penny. Sounds ridiculous. They just charged you what they like for the effort they had to make to put the claim through.

I don't think you are being unreasonable, and people like that receptionist usually get a response (loud enough for everyone to hear) along the lines of "excuse me, can you repeat that?"

And you're right they're not exactly doing you a favour. They are a franchise and HUK will be paying them for the work. So I fail to see why you should pay anything to them.

That being said, the work will be registered against your reg, so there is traceability.

Worth calling HUK and asking why that particular Dealer charged you for putting through a warranty claim? ...

I would

Thanks guys, I'll leave it I think. Not worth the hassle. I'll vote with my feet. HH for me next time.

Anyway do you guys think that the alternator belt could have been put on too tight? Is this causing the whirring noise at alternator? And possibly causing the alternator to generate more power hence better starting?

How do i check what is acceptable for how tight this belt should be?

Cheers all

Get them to check and confirm... better starting would be because of better compression and engine breathing, rather that better battery charging.

Don't leave it ic you're not happy. If there is a related problem, and you haven't mentioned it there is a biggest chance of them sticking two fingers up at you.

Give them a call and ask to speak to Paul the Service Manager. He's very reasonable. Explain what's happened and that you're not 100% happy with the outcome and the new noise and cost and see what he says. If you don't complain they'll never learn.

Habib,

I didn't get any paperwork when I had my Clutch and DMF done under warranty (21k miles) either, it does seem the norm in all honesty, however as for the charge, that quite frankly is not the norm and I would seriously consider mentioning it to Honda customer services, regardless of whether you are going to use the dealership again.

The behaviour you have received, especially from the receptionist, doesn't give an overall good impression of the dealership, despite you having a good feeling about the technical abilities of the dealership.

Perhaps the receptionist was having an off day (although not really acceptable, can possibly be forgiven as we have all probably had off days ourselves at one time or other) however charging for the privilege of doing warranty work is unacceptable, especially if you were not advised this before the work was undertaken.

i had the manifold done recently, and did not receive any paperwork(so this seems normal)although,you should ask the service manager at the dealership what the 72.00 charge was for, as this is being carried out under warranty ???? I think by the sounds of the receptionist her attitude is disgusting, having being building facilities/service management, this sort of attitude should not be tolerated,by you or the company(this is weather she is having a bad day or not!!)i think she needs retraining in customers services/relations,and the dealership needs to know about it as she is the first point of contact for that dealer! bring it to their attention bud.

Hi

I had mine done in April did not get any paper work neither was i charged.

As for the alternator mine is doing exactly the same as yours.

1. now the cam chains have been replaced its just quiet under there ??

2. Is it the fact that everything to do with the auxiliary belt is under tension, then when they do the work on the cam chain and put it all back together it just unsettles things.

3. But on here there is a link about the way the belt goes round the alternator pulley, when i looked, its like kind of trying to strangle it. As i believe it put tremendous strain on the alternator bearings.

There is now a mod to take away one of the idler pulleys and put a shorter belt on, which i have also found on here.

I kinder think its like the Accord "E bible" lol...........

Thanks all,

Unfortunatley, my commute is on the m62 and there is no way i'll make it to the dealership today. I'll have to leave early next week and see Paul.

It seems as if the £72 charged by the receptionist isn't the norm. I dont ever want any special treatment, but i don't want to be treated like a mug either.

I did say to the receptionist that i didn't agree with the principle of the charge for putting a warranty claim through and i will query it with Honda later but she just said "thats
fine"

Oh well lets hope i can get this minor niggle sorted.

Frankly I think a diagnostic charge is offensive too. Especially when they don't identity the problem.

seems like we have only good dealer,that is HH.My dealer also failing with customer service and technicians knowledge.Its a shame that I hyave no trust in other dealers exept HH.Strangly enough HUK didn't ask why I don;t want to fix car with my local dealer.Maybe they don't realy care about all dealership in total

but I mean dealers jobs and customers satifaction quality should bother them.
If customers not happy about work quality its serious thingy must be for them

Hi all,

My car was parked up this weekend and guess what happened this morning?

My VSA light came on!!!

Funny I was thinking of this just on Friday!

But it is the ABS and VSA light on together so suspect it is an abs sensor rather than someone accidentally knocking the module. This car is testing my patience!!

Right guys,

Been having a nose around my car, so i took of the engine cover and noticed 4 nice new injectors with new pipe work.

Very nice.

Nice one, I'd deffo be taking up the charges with the Dealer Principal cos its bang out of order in my eyes. Gutted about the ABS sensor.

Give them a call and ask to speak to Paul the Service Manager. He's very reasonable. Explain what's happened and that you're not 100% happy with the outcome and the new noise and cost and see what he says. If you don't complain they'll never learn.

Totally agree.

You shouldn't feel as though you're getting a favour from anyone. It's a manufacturing defect that you're having to go to the trouble and inconvenience of getting repaired.

My car is in right now - has been all day - for the VSA repair.

After nearly 4 months of being messed about, I got an email authorising my repair. Took car to dealer today to be told my fault hadn't been confirmed - despite my telling them it was 10 days previous. I'd also provided the details and case number and contact at HUK so everything would be ready to go. They called me after a couple of hours to say the fault was confirmed and repair would be done today but they have to wait for confirmation from Honda to authorise the job???

Was again told I'd get a call back to confirm car was ok to pick up before 6pm tonight - never got the call.

So my car is still in the garage and I don't know what is happening. They are going to be on the receiving end tomorrow.

(Sorry to highjack your thread OP, your tale reignited my fire)

Cheers alloy.

It's just really frustrating to get this level of service from a prestige car dealer.

They called me this morning - after failing to call me last night - and stated that still hadn't received authorisation from Honda - I tried to explain to the girl that this was already authorised and that they had no need to do this as I had already provided my case number to them 10 days ago - so they could get the part ready for installing.

When I challenged her this morning, she came up with some story about them having to 'strip the car down the verify the fault' - I mean come on - the lies don't stop there unfortunately. :rolleyes:

So I've called Honda UK today and spoke to the lad who authorised my repair - and he said he was mystified at that they were doing and is looking into it for me.

Well guys,

Been back to huddersfield honda and explained to them about the noise. Also about the vsa light.

They say the noise is due to the fan belt deteriorating. So i will get that changed and see what happens.

I should also add to be fair that the same receptionist dealt with me a lot better today and didn't charge me for the diagnostic chech ( which i thought was due to one of the front sensors being knocked during the works)

Maybe she was having an off day at the previous visit.

Glad your second visit was better. That sounds more like the service I always recieve. Did you query the diagnostic fee with Paul?

They said vsa light was due to abs sensor in rear os wheel.

Pauls on holiday this week. I didn't query ths fee. I'll let it pass.