What's new

Manifold Replacement & Control Valve Problem

Conlisk

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 i-CTDI
Hi Folks, hopefully someone can shed some light on my problem...

I've just had the manifold replaced under warrenty. When I left the garage I noticed a considerable drop in boost. It felt like the turbo wasn't kicking in when it should. Rang the garage straight away and told them the problem. They of course denied any wrong-doing, but agreed to have a look at it. Dropped the car back to them yesterday evening armed with information after searching posts here for problems after manifold change (induction hoses not connected properly, turbo actuator not greased, etc...).

Well, they are after ringing me to say there is a problem with a control valve for the turbo (I should have got a better description than this sorry). They told me there is two controls valves, one at the front and one at the back of the engine, the back one near the manifold is gone. To confirm it, they swapped the front one and it worked at the back. The cost €163 + VAT!! I definitely did not have the problem before dropping the car in for the manifold replacement and tried arguing this point on the phone. They are taking no responsibility and said it was just coincidence! I am not too happy about this.

I don't really believe in coincidences. Can anyone shed some more light on what valve has gone or how this can happen? The more info I have, the more I might be able to argue my case with them. Thanks in advance.

I have heard that it isn't unusual for mechanics (especially smaller guys) to clamber about on top of the engine when working on the car. This has been attributed to previous damage, apparently unrelated to the work undertaken.

Hard to prove, though.

Kevin this will be very hard to proof indeed and you probably will not get any joy with the dealers.You could try to get in contact with Honda UK and explain this to them and your not happy.But be very curtious to them as they will be on your side and want to no what has happened.

Thanks for the advice lads. I decided to just go with it and get the part replaced. Picking the car up later, hopefully there are no more surprises.

Thanks for the advice lads. I decided to just go with it and get the part replaced. Picking the car up later, hopefully there are no more surprises.

I would still write a courteous letter to Honda UK explaining exactly what has happened. All Car dealers are Franchises, just like Macdonalds, and Honda UK will want to ensure that all dealers work to very high statndards.