What's new

Max Wheel size?

dave0922

Members
Reaction score
Car
99 Accord ES, F18B2
Hi Guys,

Wanting some new wheels on my 6th gen. What is the maximum reccomended size? I have heard that 17s are about the limit, which is what I want but will it affect the ride comfort, performance or even fuel consumption? I would imagine that putting 2 more inches in circumference on the hubs will require more torque to pull them. Am I being stupid? lol...

Can anybody help out here?

You can go to 18's but the tyres will be very low profile and will adversely affect the ride quality. I would suggest going to 17" for a nice look and balance with ride quality.

Hi Guys,

Wanting some new wheels on my 6th gen. What is the maximum reccomended size? I have heard that 17s are about the limit, which is what I want but will it affect the ride comfort, performance or even fuel consumption? I would imagine that putting 2 more inches in circumference on the hubs will require more torque to pull them. Am I being stupid? lol...

Can anybody help out here?

its not the size its the weight of the rim which will effect the power output less wieght less effort for engine. Rule of thumb is 1kg extra rotational mass is the same as putting 10kg in the car as ballast. so if 4 rims have 2kg more weight than stock each. then thats the same as having a permanent passenger.

the less sidewall on the tyre the crashier the ride will be as Fahad said

17" 7" or 7.5" and around the 40+ offset mark.wide is a good size for a 6th gen. with a 215/45/17 tyre or a 225/45/17

fuel consumption same as power above ^

Thanks for the quick reply mate. I am looking through ebay right now and there are some real bargains to be had if I travel a bit for them. Not going for brand news as my budget wont stretch but wanting some with decent tyre tread left on.

Bought some 18" wheels for mine with 215/35 tires. Let you know how they are when i get them on next week. Had some 18's on my last car and they weren't that bad. You have to keep an eye out for the potholes though.

Got the wheels on today. I tried fitting them with some 225/40 tires and it was rubbing at the back. Just a bit on the edge. I have now changed them to 215/35 as originally planned and these are ok. The car looked better with the 225's but was not working for me
http://img864.imageshack.us/i/20110401155717csb.jpg

i was just going to say i tried 225 45 17 on mine they where rubbing,i now have 205 45 17 and there fine

I got them off ebay. The item number is 190372674888. I could only find the front ones. They are a good fit as well.