What's new

messy oil filter change

Taffytim

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 2.0
what a silly place to put the oil filter. Dirty oil gets everywhere when you take it off.

What tips do people have to stop the filth?

Always really messy first time you do it!

I use an old baking tray, the high sided kind, and hold it under the filter with one hand while I unscrew the filter with the other hand.

I think it's a pretty good place as it saves crawling around the underside with a filter wrench! Careful use of a container does help though.

On my mobile....so petrol or diesel? If the latter, then I've never spilt a drop.

you don't describe how and where it got dirty? if you mean it hit on the drive shaft and lower wishbone then yes....but shouldn't go everywhere lol.

have a tray under it, leave it until dribbling, screw on the new filter and then wipe off the oil on the driveshaft and wishbone...shouldn't really get on the floor unless you didn't have a pan under :D

I think it's a pretty good place as it saves crawling around the underside with a filter wrench! Careful use of a container does help though.

How did you access it then? I went in from the the front so lying on my back. Disposable baking tray on the ground and a load of absorbent paper under the filter to catch as much dirty stuff before it hit me, the drive shaft and the lower wishbone. There didn't seem enough room to get a tray below it (not the size of mine anyway).

ps petrol 2.0 engine

You can't get the tray directly below the filter, you hold it as high as you can above your chest and press it against the underside of the car, but it's still about a foot below the filter.

A bit of oil still goes on the engine block and driveshaft but not all that much.