What's new

Metallic noise from n/s of car

Shrek280

Members
Reaction score
Car
2001 Honda Accord
Hi all,

After a bit of advice - (Well thought I'd state the obvious before i start lol!). My 2001 Accord 2.0 SE Auto has developed an intermittent noise from the nearside of the car. Tootling around the doors you cant hear anything. Should you do a short dual carriageway run then back to 30's it sounds like a loose metallic object loose inside one of the wheels. It sounds louder in reverse too when reversing onto my driveway after dual carriageway mixed driving - Any ideas. It sounds like a metal spring rolling around in a bucket but I cant put my finger on exactly where its coming from other than the nearside.

Any advice appreciated!

Oh, and I forgot to mention, when you press the brake pedal the noise goes away. Release the brake pedal and it returns

Not much idea what that noise could be, Chris.

However if it stops when you brake it could be brake related so as a first step you could take the wheel off and see if you spot anything obvious.

It could be your brake pads which are loose, and when you apply force over them while breaking, the noise goes away.

Yep, nice one Pedro, check for movement in the pads Chris.

As Pedro has said, loose pads. Might just be worth getting the brakes looked at quickly. An easy fix i should imagine.

Have you checked the pads as they could be worn right down and its the reminder spring that's rubbing on your disk.

When the pads are worn down (they were on my old 6th) there was only a noise when i pressed the brake pedal and not when the car was just driving normally. But will still be worth checking anyway.

Always good to check your pad levels.

Also check the brake disk shield i had a tiny stone in mine once and the noise was very alarming.

Sounds to me like the retainer that surounds your pads. Could be sticking or bent! Its just a thin metal plate that bends around the pads in order to reduce brake squeal.

Worth a check!

Further to my last reply, if it is the retainer thats causing the problem, then some copper grease will sort the problem!

Thanks for all the replies - much appreciated! - Wheels are off today to get to the bottom of this annoying noise!

I'll keep you all posted!