What's new

Might go for a DTEC tourer , pls give me some pointers

ebod

Members
Reaction score
Car
I-CTDI SPUTNIK
Hi all,

2yrs into my ownership of my Civic FK3 I'm tempted to consider offloading it and upgrading to an 8th gen tourer.
I never liked the 7th gen tourer, but deffo could see myself in an 8th gen.

My Civic has proved to be a good buy, in 2yrs its only had a few minor hiccups, but TBH although its quick and reasonably economical, I'm tiring of the poor ride quality and prefer more comfort.

I'm aware the DTEC engine has a cat, but wouldn't mind a quick synopsis of pro's & con's about the 8th Gen DTEC particularly hi milers.

i.e. where do they stand on clutch ,timing chain , fuel system & cat issues ?

Whats a fair price to pay for a clutch change & a timing/oil pump chain replacement ?

Cheers

DPF and sticking turbo actuators as a result are biggest issue. Also suffer with cracked egr bypass pipes.

Otherwise the usual pitfalls of any used car. They're a strong motor and make a very good used buy. I see them through my workshop very regularly and I'm yet to see a proper lemon.

As I drove my 7th gen tourer into the chop shop I kept saying to myself "you doing the right thing?" I came away in my 36,000 mile 8th gen drove home 50 miles and the 7th was fast fading memory, After only one week of ownership I keep saying "What 7th?" do not get me wrong I had 7 years of trouble free motoring with it and it was going well when I parted with it, but this 8 auto is a completely different animal, smooth, powerful enough and effortless. I hope not to suffer the repetitive problems that keep popping up on this forum re DPF'S then again there are many sob stories on here re the 7th's but happily I never had many of those either, should they crop up I know where to go to get it sorted.

Hi Faddy, 'if only' my Civic rode like an Accord, I'd stick with it. But man its a boneshaker :-(

Have you heard of any instances of timing / oil pump chain failure? I'm eyeing up 130<>150k milers ex-fleet ones. And since the I-CDTI have they got better on clutches?

Nope no such issues that I've heard of. And yes
I've heard of some clutch issues but that's typical of any 100k+ car

What mileage do you do Ian? If its not too high consider the 2.0 petrol, its a lot more reliable than a 130-150k mile iDtec.

Its the R series engine from the Civic, timing chain, late 20's mpg around town, low 40's mpg on the motorway.

At 130-150k miles, budget for a cluthc and DMF, probably a DPF or DPF removal.

Also chekc out the brakes are in good order, rear calipers seem to seize up, getting hot and ruining the disks and pads.

Not sure I could deal with the lack of torque from a petrol :p

Its been 15yrs since I've run a petrol engine...forgot how they feel :-0 , All that messing about with spark plugs & ignition blah !

TBH the big offputting thing about the hi mile I-CDTI & DTEC is the mega expensive cost of timing kit & clutch/DMF kit. I love the individuality of Honda but practicality might steer me to something cheaper on parts like a Mondeo. I've had an S-Max 5yrs and besides a recon turbo its been pretty good really