What's new

Minimum Tyre tread depth - Honda Approved

pauljdh

Members
Reaction score
Car
i-dtec auto tourer
Hi does anyone know what Hondas' minimum tread standard is on approved used cars is?

I bought one (Accord idect tourer) 8 days ago and this weekend was going round checking pressures etc and noticed the OSF tyre is at exactly 3mm.....think Honda service dept would recommend changing at 3.5-4mm, all others OK.

My concern is that so far they have failed to give an MOT (its in the post) and I wouldn't be surprised if theres an advisory on it but we'll see, I won't be happy if there is and subsequently the 150+ point check for aa approved car let that one through.

My experience is that theres so much to transact on collection day that things like this can be missed and to be honest buying from a main dealer you expect basics to be in order

I know the legal limit at 1,6mm applies etc but Id never go as low as that personally. I also appreciate that 3mm may be the limit and as such technically its not required to be changed but Ill be looking at virtually buying a tyre for a Honda approved car within weeks of taking ownership which is not what I expected.

Ive probably done 100-125 miles in the week Ive owned it

Car purchased from Holdcroft Honda in Stoke.

Thanks

Can't comment of what you'd expect on an approved car, but if you've got 225/50R17 tyres on you might want see if they'll swap them as they're surprisingly expensive (at least in comparison to the 16" on a standard 7th Gen).

My new Tourer (not an approved car) came with a 12 month ticket with no advisories, but on closer inspection the tyres were pretty much down to the skin. I wasn't best pleased at £500 for four Goodyears...

Yep the 17" tyres in that size are not cheap. 8th gen has a fair bit of tyre noise so check the noise ratings. I went for £60 Accellera tyres, bit noisy on the motorway, should have gone for Goodyear.

IMO 3mm is acceptable on a used car, winter is a few months away.

3mm is the minimum for Honda approved used cars. I've tried in the past when prepping a used car for sales to put tyres on but they won't

My car was in for service in April, whilst I have no complaint at all about their service and my treatment, they did ring me to tell me my rear tyres were down to 3mm and they recommended they are changed, I politely refused this, they would not have been the cheapest place to buy tyres from.

I have arranged for 4 Dunlops to be fitted tomorrow, time I had the winter tyres off the front, at £103 per corner, all in, which I thought was good, I turned down some budget tyres at £42 each, never heard of 'Sammy Tyres'.............. ;) ;)

Well, new tyres fitted today Dunlop SP Sports Maxx RT as stated £412 overall, that is £44 cheaper than Black Circle, from dealer recommended on another car forum, well happy................ :D :D