What's new

MK8 - DTC B1142 - Faults: Passenger side power window, mirror, boot release, immobilizer, ultrasonic sensors

What has helped you?

• Replacing the passenger switch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drying the passenger switch

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dramblys

Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord 2.2IDTEC
Hello all, I've been having the above problem since last winter. The car has been parked for 2 weeks during frost. When I gotten back to driving it noticed the passenger's power window doesn't work. Maybe 1 mile down the road DPF went crazy too, but that seems to have fixed itself by doing dpf regen 3 times on a course of 3000 miles.

Later down the line I started realizing that it's not only the window problem, but also the immobilizer doesn't work and the alarm doesn't trigger when the car is locked, the ultrasonic sensors when the car is locked and windows open doesn't work either, I thought the boot release was working for some time but I think I may have always been using the key to open the boot and noticed it doesn't work too. The mirror defrost and control for passenger side doesn't work either.

One of the errors that remains is DTC B1142 - "Power windows master switch lost communication with the other units(UART communication error)"
I've found this manual and tried replacing the master switch, disconnecting the passenger control unit, replacing the passenger motor, but none of these fix the issue.
Also erasing the error code re-triggers the error instantly.

I've looked on the forum and noticed this seems to be a common theme with some trials and errors of people trying things. contact cleaners, replacing the unit or drying the contacts, but all the threads go cold and no definitive answer is found:

Things suggested in the above threads:
  • Drying passenger side Power Window Control Unit (in oven)
  • Using contact cleaner on passenger side Power Window Control Unit
  • Replacing the unit
I've personally tried:
  • Replacing the master switch
  • Replacing passenger motor
Will see if any suggestions from the other threads will help, will start off with the contact cleaner.

Thought it would be good to have a unified thread about this. Will try to message other thread owners and see how have they been doing with this problem.

P.S I've taken pictures of part codes of master window and passenger window control units:

Attachments

• master-switch-c.png
    master-switch-c.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 2
  • passenger-switch-c.png
    passenger-switch-c.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230515_122902 (3).jpg
    IMG_20230515_122902 (3).jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230515_172759 (3).jpg
    IMG_20230515_172759 (3).jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
From what I read on other forums/threads it's the passenger side switch unit. If baking/cleaning it didn't work, you're gonna need a new one.

As said above from what I've read I would be replacing it with a known working item from a breaker.

Have tried today to clean with contact cleaner both front switches, with no luck unfortunately. Repeated the process twice to make sure. Leaning towards the passenger switch may be faulty.

Small update: After cleaning both switches yesterday with the contact cleaner, today all the functionality got restored and working as before. One interesting note I've driven the car today 3 times and the first time it definitely didn't work. So thought it either regained contact somehow, or maybe it's related with the error code and took a few tries starting the engine until the DTC has been cleared and functionality restored.

I replaced the passenger side front window switch and all worked fine after that, just be sure if you are replacing it you buy the correct part