What's new

Mobile 1 ESP Vs Castrol Edge Oil (Also BG244 Diesel Cleaner)

accord_n22

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord I-CTDI
Hi Guys

Quick question.

My mate works at a garage and he is able to get me oil at his staff discount rate. Thinking of grabbing some of my next oil change. I know its weird, I've just serviced the car and thinking of my next oil service already. Wife thinks I am strange. lol

He can get either the Mobile 1 ESp 0w/30 or the Castrol Edge 0w/30
Which is better ? or are they both the same and it doesn't matter?

I have the Mobile 1 ESP 0w/30 from coxmotorparts in the car currently and it seems like its a very good oil

Also he can get me something called BG244 diesel cleaner. He says its very good.
Is this worth getting and putting this in my car even though I am not getting any running issues at the moment? Preventative maintenance perhaps?

I have always run the accord on v power diesel since I bought it and it seems to run really well on it - I know its pricey but they say the better fuel you give the car the longer and better the engine runs

Let me know your thoughts
Thanks Guys

Iv heard great reviews on Mobile 1 oil and am thinking of changing to this from silcoline pro

Both those oils are perfect for the diesel... I've heard better things said about the Mobil, but I do wonder sometimes if people have a downer on Castrol.

I've tried BG244 twice. I think it doesn't do anything beyond offering a cetane booster when it's first put into the tank.

Thanks Guys

I thought that too with regards to the BG244 and quite a few people say the V power diesel from Shell is the best thing you could put into the tank.

Might stick with the Mobile 1 ESP. Why do people have a downer on the Castrol? Did Castrol make a blunder with their products recently or something?

Jon_G said:
but I do wonder sometimes if people have a downer on Castrol.
Castrol is not an oil producing company, it just goes to show how well good advertising can establish a brand in the minds of people.... They afaik, just to put it simply, are mixers of oil......

IMHO, I wouldn't stray far for the oem oils, I mean, who better to tell an oil company what specific oils they need for their product range than the manufacturer of the product, and they're not that expensive either.....

Stick to v power. Makes a big difference on these cars because they are so fluid sensitive!

Thanks guys
Yeah will be sticking with v power diesel unless I am forced for what ever reason to use an alternative
V power diesel is pricey but good stuff - the N22 engine seems to love it

Ive been using castrol edge 0w-30 for 5 years, and my car running bautifully mate!!

If you need a good fuel additive give HH a call and ask for there additive recomended by Honda.
It's called tunap Iv just orderd some myself.
It's a good ideal to run this a week or so before an oil change as all the bad stuff that's cleaned will just go into your old oil.

brett said:
Yes mate I use about 2 weeks before a service or oil change and just pore into a empty tank then fill to the brim to get a good mix
Works for petrol too??

Yes as Jon said there are 2 different types for petrol and diesel

accord_n22 said:
Thanks Brett
I ***ume with the forum discount I can get it cheaper than their ebay listing?
Give them a call but not all things are discounted at HH.
It's mainly service parts but worth giving them a call to find out.