What's new

MPG - 2.4 Petrol Vs 2.2iDetec Auto

metis

Members
Reaction score
Car
08 Accord 2.4 EX
Hi all,

Just thought I would share my findings having driven the following two cars for a week each, I was very suprised!

2.2iDtec Auto saloon (2011, Honda loaner with 4,500 on the clock)
2.4ivtec Tourer (2008, my car with 30,000 on the clock)

I've been driving the diesel for the last week whilst my car is in for work at Honda, my daily trip to and from work is approx 9 miles, with a mix of 30% urban, 70% 60 limit long roads.

The diesel averages 33.8mpg

The 2.4 Petrol averages 31.4mpg

Overall for all my driving both cars average about 35mpg - I noticed on the motorway the diesel did not return great mpg, about 45mpg at best driving 60-70mph, which the petrol seems to better.

This is same driving style, I'm taking it easy in both diesel and Petrol. I'm very suprised at how much that auto box effects the mpg!! I'm not slagging off the auto or saying this is a definitive mpg comparison, just my findings after having driven it for a week.

I was impressed with the diesel engine for refinement/power, I've just come from a 2.2D mondeo (175 bhp) which realy ran out of breath past 4k, the Honda engine still pulls to the redline and it's very petrol-like and much more refined overal, much more so than the ford effort.

Can't wait to get my 2.4 back tomorrow though :)

Hi all,

Just thought I would share my findings having driven the following two cars for a week each, I was very suprised!

2.2iDtec Auto saloon (2011, Honda loaner with 4,500 on the clock)
2.4ivtec Tourer (2008, my car with 30,000 on the clock)

I've been driving the diesel for the last week whilst my car is in for work at Honda, my daily trip to and from work is approx 9 miles, with a mix of 30% urban, 70% 60 limit long roads.

The diesel averages 33.8mpg

The 2.4 Petrol averages 31.4mpg

Overall for all my driving both cars average about 35mpg - I noticed on the motorway the diesel did not return great mpg, about 45mpg at best driving 60-70mph, which the petrol seems to better.

This is same driving style, I'm taking it easy in both diesel and Petrol. I'm very suprised at how much that auto box effects the mpg!! I'm not slagging off the auto or saying this is a definitive mpg comparison, just my findings after having driven it for a week.

I was impressed with the diesel engine for refinement/power, I've just come from a 2.2D mondeo (175 bhp) which realy ran out of breath past 4k, the Honda engine still pulls to the redline and it's very petrol-like and much more refined overal, much more so than the ford effort.

Can't wait to get my 2.4 back tomorrow though :)
Thanks for the feedback Paul most of the Auto boxes are very thirsty but for the diesel this does surprise me.

On my regular motorway runs, I see anywhere between 55-70mpg - if not MORE.

Depending on how hard or not I press the right foot, I have to say since having the Accord, this I-DTEC engine is one of the best I have driven - even though todays marketplace is littered with even better, lighter and more fuel efficient engines from many manufacturers.

I cant comment on your road testing etc, but all I will say is that the I-DTEC engine is formidable, reliable and gives excellent mileage per tank - especially considering I did a 1000 mile run on one tank when I first had the car. :D

On my regular motorway runs, I see anywhere between 55-70mpg - if not MORE.

Depending on how hard or not I press the right foot, I have to say since having the Accord, this I-DTEC engine is one of the best I have driven - even though todays marketplace is littered with even better, lighter and more fuel efficient engines from many manufacturers.

I cant comment on your road testing etc, but all I will say is that the I-DTEC engine is formidable, reliable and gives excellent mileage per tank - especially considering I did a 1000 mile run on one tank when I first had the car. :D

I think the main issue is with the auto box sapping mpg, unless there are any auto users out there who beg to differ, I'm sure the iDtec in manual form is much better!

I can confirm the poor MPG of the IDTEC auto. Mine has now seen 33,500 miles and at best on steady 70 will do anywhere from 38 - 45 MPG.

I have found that driving lets say a little above that (we all do it) it actually returns better MPG? Strange I know but I think the car makes it up some days.

My only gripe with this car is the auto box......... compared to others it's like something from the ark. At 70 that box is eating 2400 rpm which is high compared to my old VW at 1800 rpm. However I like a lazy auto as london traffic can be a pain in the a***.

I've travelled this week cannock to sizewell, then to slough and then back to cannock. Now the fuel gauge showed just under full when I left and after 500 miles give or take I still have just over a quarter left with an average MPG of 44.

Not too bad after a re-map I suppose?

How's the iDTEC compare the 7th Gen Diesel (CDTi or whatever it is)? I mean in terms of maintenance/reliability/sensitivity? I understand the 7th Gen diesel are good engines but they have their share of issues (mostly covered under warranty, but still a pain in the ***) and also they're very fussy about servicing and fluids. Are the iDTECs a bit more rugged and less fussy like the petrol engines?

How's the iDTEC compare the 7th Gen Diesel (CDTi or whatever it is)? I mean in terms of maintenance/reliability/sensitivity? I understand the 7th Gen diesel are good engines but they have their share of issues (mostly covered under warranty, but still a pain in the ***) and also they're very fussy about servicing and fluids. Are the iDTECs a bit more rugged and less fussy like the petrol engines?

Never owned a 7th Gen but have driven both petrol and diesel models now and again. What I will say about my own experience with the I-DTEC engine is this - its not caused me ANY issue whatsoever. Plenty of torque, lots of power, plenty of pull - doesnt even feel or drive like a diesel. I'd say its got to be as bomb-proof as its 8th Gen petrol siblings. I cannot fault it - and it gives darn good MPG, what else could you ask for? :D

Never owned a 7th Gen but have driven both petrol and diesel models now and again. What I will say about my own experience with the I-DTEC engine is this - its not caused me ANY issue whatsoever. Plenty of torque, lots of power, plenty of pull - doesnt even feel or drive like a diesel. I'd say its got to be as bomb-proof as its 8th Gen petrol siblings. I cannot fault it - and it gives darn good MPG, what else could you ask for? :D

It must just be mine that sounds like a mass tractor at the moment! Needs a service me thinks.

Hi

One of the reasons why I got a 2.4 auto not a 2.2diesel auto - The diesel auto is poor in terms of fuel efficiency and performance IMO (when I test drove them). In our 2.4 auto we get a very similar fuel economy as the original poster. About 31-32mpg and we got 37mpg on a 850mile trip recently.

For comparisons my 272bhp V6 merc diesel auto can regularly get near 40mpg.

Tony