What's new

MPG idtec tourer

Petercarman

Members
Reaction score
Car
idtec tourer manual
Hi,
I have just used my first tank of fuel and the inbuilt mpg calculator in the instrument cluster read 45.5 mpg.

Not too bad I thought, as I am still getting used to the car and had let the car idle for long periods while I checked the engine temperature and played with the Satnav.

However when I checked the brim to brim calculation it was 49.27mpg! a pleasent surprise. (55.54 litres and 602 miles)

Most dashboard mpg figures I have come across read the other way i.e. more mpg than the true reading.

Is this normal or do they all vary, and do you consider my true reading as average for this car?

Pete.

Over my ownership (March '15 to present) I've put in 2249 litres (494.8 gallons) of fuel and covered 26803 miles. I make that 54.17mpg overall.
Brim to brim the best I've had is 60.8mpg and the worst 47.0mpg. That's from the forecourt pump, the odometer, and my much ridiculed spreadsheet (not the trip computer) :blush:

If you have to worry about it then get a bicycle, one things for sure they will not go without fuel. Drive like Miss Daisy is on the back seat and "cattle"" the DPF, drive as it should be driven and enjoy. LOL but yes I think 47 mpg is about right, at least thats what my computer tells me.

Like TourerFan the dashboard mpg figures on my Tourer are pessimistic (by 0.5 mpg) unlike my previous CRV and my wife's Mito.

Driven normally I average approximately 52mpg, but living in a rural area I do little stop/start driving. Based on this your consumption seems very reasonable.
Towing a 1300kg. caravan for 2500 miles abroad this summer gave me an average 32 mpg., which I was very pleased with.

Manual.

Based on owner reviews, the 5 speed auto box on both the CRV and Accord iDTEC appears to be much less fuel efficient than the manual box. However the new 9 speed ZF auto fitted to the CRV 1.6 iDTEC (160 BHP) appears to be only marginally less efficient than the manual.

Mine (2.2 manual) on a good run this weekend at an illegal 80mph started to display 62mpg when the reset button pressed then settled down to read 45-48mpg.

edgeoftime said:
If you have to worry about it then get a bicycle, one things for sure they will not go without fuel. Drive like Miss Daisy is on the back seat and "cattle"" the DPF, drive as it should be driven and enjoy. LOL but yes I think 47 mpg is about right, at least thats what my computer tells me.
I keep reading about the DPF and not really understanding ... what do you mean "cattle" the DPF? And what can you do to stop it getting cattled?

BTW I've only recently got my idtec tourer and filled up for the second time today ... I only got 39.1 mpg which is worse than my old diesel accord that it replaced. :(

Pickles said:
I keep reading about the DPF and not really understanding ... what do you mean "cattle" the DPF? And what can you do to stop it getting cattled?

BTW I've only recently got my idtec tourer and filled up for the second time today ... I only got 39.1 mpg which is worse than my old diesel accord that it replaced. :(
Cattled=cattle trUcked! . fuel consumption is not as good as the mk7 diesel, I had one as well, the DPF COLLECTS THE *****, and periodically and automatically, burns it out and fires it out the exhaust, but to do this it needs to be hot, so not to used as a hearse. But I am sure you have noticed that the 8 is a far better drive?

Matt said:
Over my ownership (March '15 to present) I've put in 2249 litres (494.8 gallons) of fuel and covered 26803 miles. I make that 54.17mpg overall.
Brim to brim the best I've had is 60.8mpg and the worst 47.0mpg. That's from the forecourt pump, the odometer, and my much ridiculed spreadsheet (not the trip computer) :blush:
Must be a Matt thing.
I have a lovely spreadsheet too for my 7th gen.

To the OP. Best check against the same pump, or over a long period of time (spreadsheet nerdery) as different pumps will fill different amounts.

I always get more in the filler neck at a Shell, than I do a Tesco for example. Skews the results.

edgeoftime said:
Cattled=cattle trUcked! . fuel consumption is not as good as the mk7 diesel, I had one as well, the DPF COLLECTS THE *****, and periodically and automatically, burns it out and fires it out the exhaust, but to do this it needs to be hot, so not to used as a hearse. But I am sure you have noticed that the 8 is a far better drive?
(Cattled) Learn something every day. How hard do you have to drive it to get the DPF thing hot? Definitely not so soft a ride falls somewhere between the old car and wife's BMW 3 series. Still getting used to 6 gears.

Pickles said:
(Cattled) Learn something every day. How hard do you have to drive it to get the DPF thing hot? Definitely not so soft a ride falls somewhere between the old car and wife's BMW 3 series. Still getting used to 6 gears.
You should have a drivers user book, it tells you how generate a passive clear out. If not then just look at the long standing sticky on DPF. by the way cattle trucked means that it is knackered but spelt with four letters only.

TourerFan, I entertain hyper miling. In other words try to eek out as many miles from one tank of fuel as is possible. Like others I too have a spreadsheet.

Since June 2016, the least distance covered on one tank was:
603 miles with 64 miles to empty giving it a range of 667 miles (Mainly city driving)

and the furthest distance covered was:
885 miles with 49 miles to empty giving it a range of 934 miles (Mostly motorway and post DPF removal and Stage One Remap)

For a fat old 58 plate wagon with lots toys on the EX grade, that's not too shabby at all.

Accord in the UK RIP, maybe it'll be a 1.6 DTEC Civic next unless Accord makes a return, wishful thinking on my part.

That's really impressive. Tried the pulse and glide technique before, but you really need light traffic to do an efficient job of it.
Good fun when the roads are empty though.

edgeoftime said:
You should have a drivers user book, it tells you how generate a passive clear out. If not then just look at the long standing sticky on DPF. by the way cattle trucked means that it is knackered but spelt with four letters only.
I had a look it tells you to drive at a speed above 37mph .... I dont think I've ever gone that slow in my life :lol:

I did drive at 37 mph and it cost me £90 and a speed awareness course. LOL Anyway it has just had a good rum on the motorway for about 400 mile that should do it!!