What's new

MPG, is this good?

John M.

Members
Reaction score
Car
6th Gen. 1.8iS
I just happen to notice my old bus turned 99,000 yesterday ( I'll probably miss the 100k miles stone). So, I had a 150 mile drive to do and decided I'd fill right up to the neck and take it handy. It wasn't easy staying between 55 and 60mph, harder work that most would think but I managed it. Result 37.5 mpg! Is that good going or should I have cracked the 40 mpg?

Thats good going John for a 1.8 6th gen :)

Glad to hear that Brett, especially as it's the first time I've ever really bothered to do an economy run in any car. I wonder how difficult would it be to get 40 mpg at the same speeds, might just give it a go again sometime but the problem there is I'd need to be in the right frame of mind - difficult.

37.5 is phenomenal mpg from a 1.8 6th.

Out of interest why will you miss the 100k?

Good stuff Simon, you're making me rather pleased with myself. :D Then again, I wish the thread was about how I manage to get a genuine 147.5 mph out it! :D I'll dream on.
Oh, as far as the 100k mile stone goes, I'll more than likely not notice it happening until it's gone well above.

Anyway, is 40 mpg realistic from it @ 55-60mph, what do you think?

I wonder how difficult would it be to get 40 mpg at the same speeds
You should be able to manage it. I've hit 40 with the 2 litre before. It's a case of going longer on the motorway without stops, the temperature being right (so you don't need the air-con), the traffic being kind to you, and most importantly, you not being in a hurry. Although I did my 40 on a very warm sunny day in July at exactly 70 miles/hour cruising speed, on the congested M6 through Staffordshire and Warwickshire, so what do I know?

Well done there Rotation. I'll have to give it a go again so. :D

Edit: My 150 mile trip was all A & B roads, so maybe I could hit the 40 if all motorway?

Rotation, forgot to ask. How did you work out the exact mpg, brim to brim?
I just use the amount of fuel in and the tripmeter on the dash. I know this is prone to error, especially with changes in temperature, but it's the best that I can do.

I once got 40mpg out of my 6th gen 2.0 petrol. That was on a 300 mile round trip, most of which was on the M6 with the cruise set at 70.

Right, I had a go at this fuel economy lark again, brim to brim. I did 264 miles all on A roads bar about 44 miles on the motorway. My average speed was between 50-65mph, trying to stay at 60. Result 38.1 mpg. Anyway, I'm a little chuffed with myself as it's probably the best mpg I've got in many a year but there's not hells chance I be trying it again, just simply too much like hard work! Roll on 33mpg... :lol:

You should be able to manage it. I've hit 40 with the 2 litre before. It's a case of going longer on the motorway without stops, the temperature being right (so you don't need the air-con), the traffic being kind to you, and most importantly, you not being in a hurry. Although I did my 40 on a very warm sunny day in July at exactly 70 miles/hour cruising speed, on the congested M6 through Staffordshire and Warwickshire, so what do I know?

I managed 48mpg with my 2.0 exec. 7th gen tough. Keep between 65-70mph and enable cruise control. Stay left and relax :)

My 2.0 6th gen makes 21mpg...city driving, do i need to buy some lighter shoes? I´m not racing or that...just normal driving switching gears around 3k/3.5k rpm. I notice that no matter if i pull hard the mpg hardly changes

I enjoy my car too much too worry about mpg.. when shes needing fuel she gets it lol if you start to worry about mpg... your better buying a diesel mate lol

simorfc said:
I enjoy my car too much too worry about mpg.. when shes needing fuel she gets it lol if you start to worry about mpg... your better buying a diesel mate lol
Yes, i enjoy it too, it´s just my wallet that doesn´t like the fact of being -100€ every week. More or less 320 miles. I´m used to my Civic Vti...i like this Accord, the driving is nicer, feels like gripping more to the road, its a more complete car, but runs a lot slower and drinks much more.
I´m considering a dual-fuel conversion, around 1500€ but gas it´s half the price, i made my calculations and within a year the system should be pay itself.

21MPGs seems a bit low.

Do you have aircon running often? What tyre pressures do you run? I run about 35psi. The 6th gens have occasionally siezed up rear brake calipers, binding the brakes on. Are you aware of any excess heat from either of the back wheels?

Hi Andy, i dont think the brakes are siezed because i can push the car with ease while stopped, i hear a noise wich i supose it must be a bearing needing to be replaced but i don´t think that should cause a considerable increase in fuel consumption. I will check my tire pressure but i think its about 34psi.
Is there any change that EGR thing(i saw here on diy section) be causing that?

I've not had trouble myself with the EGR and although there is information to suggest that a properly functioning EGR can increase efficiency I don't personally see a big difference to be gained but I'm not an expert on this.

What about air con? I think someone mentioned the air con clutch sticking on once on their 6th gen. Do you run your aircon or have you been aware of the clutch engaging and disengaging?

Another thing to consider is load. Is your boot full or do you carry passengers, maybe some modifications could be affecting the MPG also. Then there is wheel alignment too - presumably if the geometry is out then some of the power could be wasted scrubbing tyres.

I can feel air con engaging and desengaging, i usually travell alone and nothing on the trunk.
Wheel alignment was checked a month ago when i fitted new tires.
I will re-check my tire pressure today and i will stay off v-tec this tank to see how it goes, will post update in a week or so, thanks for the advices.

vascorama said:
Yes, i enjoy it too, it´s just my wallet that doesn´t like the fact of being -100€ every week. More or less 320 miles. I´m used to my Civic Vti...i like this Accord, the driving is nicer, feels like gripping more to the road, its a more complete car, but runs a lot slower and drinks much more.
I´m considering a dual-fuel conversion, around 1500€ but gas it´s half the price, i made my calculations and within a year the system should be pay itself.
I don't know how you are only getting 21/22mpg, something doesn't seem right, unless it's just stop start traffic at rush hour all the time with air con on full blast or else you are driving it like you stole it! I'd recheck the mpg by the brim to brim method first, if you haven't done that. As for the gas conversion I'd have reservations on splashing out 1500, simply because it's a lot of money on an older car. Just to give you an example, I'm always getting around 33/34 (low tyre pressures,plenty junk in the booth, clogged EGR valve etc) out of my 1.8 and I'm no saint when it comes to driving quickly, so I can't imagine I'd get less than 28mpg from a 2.0lt, might even get the same as I doubt the 2.0lt is really any juicer that the 1.8.

it looks like oxygen sensor problem. this will make wallet easier if so...
Try to clean EGR at first and adjust valves first (it can save you much fuel)

i had 31 MPG at summer(auto gearbox) in mixed driving and i don't believe in these who say they get 40. i think its impossible :)

what about fuel conversion..... i have LPG system, but i get 21-22MPG with it. I'm think about taking it out because of that

I wonder when an LPG conversion is worth it?

Apart from the initial cost which I've heard is about £1500, the fewer miles per gallon, loss of boot space, additional servicing cost of the LPG system and some folk recommend running FlashLube;systems to save the valves burning out so additional running cost again.

I'm sure if you are doing many many miles then maybe it is worth it, but then again maybe you are better off with a diesel if your mileage is that high??