What's new

MPG results

Captain Kirk

Members
Reaction score
Car
Tourer 2.2 i-DTec
OK, I know I'm new to the car, but I drive 20 miles to work every day, and in my old Skoda 2.0TDi I used to manage around 50mpg. I'm struggling to get the 2.2 i-Dtec above 40mpg and I feel I drive really conservatively. Am I doing something wrong?

Can I ask anyone with the same engine what MPG they tend to average? My 20 mile commute is mostly National speed limit, but with a few round-a-bouts and traffic lights. I used to have to fill up every other week and that was with a 55l tank. I'll be having to fill up every week and a half at this rate even with the bigger tank in my accord!

Thanks for any help in advance.

Manual or Automatic?

Sometimes (drilling down into the real-time fuel consumption data) driving conservatively can mean more wasted fuel.

A few hundred rpm at the higher speeds also makes a hell of a difference. In my iCDTi the difference between 68 and 75 is significant.

Interesting to know how much fuel is burnt on the regeneration cycle, but that does seem to be low. What are your tyre specs and pressures. That has a much bigger impact of MPG than most people realise.

I can't really comment on what you should be getting but can say the v a g tdi will be hard to beat especially if it's a octavia it's alot smaller lighter being a golf underneath

I normally get between 500/600miles from a tank however i drive and as such tend not to worry about averages yours will probably improve if its low mileage.

Now getting low to mid 40's with my 180 Bhp iDtec tourer. It was only giving 40 but as it's loosened up it's crept up a bit. It is a heavy car mind plus mines always full of tools and ***orted engineering kit! Bear with it for a bit!!

Not sure if journey distances make a difference but I'm regularly getting between 50-60mpg on runs. On shorter runarounds, it drops to about 40-ish, depending on how heavy the right foot is planted.

Overall, I'm getting very good mileage from the car - considering how big it is, its frugal as hell (and to think I was going to get an Auris first! EEK!)