What's new

My auto gearbox is losing fluid?

Wilsonstewart

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 6th Gen
I've got a 1999 Accord 2.0 SE auto. I bought it with 74,000 miles about four years ago and it's now at 117,000 miles. I noticed a few months ago that it was getting a little sluggish, and losing power at load. Going up hills, revs would increase but with no actual increase in speed. Checked auto transmission fluid and realised that it was practically dry!
Topped up the fluid, and within four weeks it was dry again! So took it to a local garage, who think that the auto box is on it's last legs.
So, there are no leaks, but the gearbox is going through fluid. There is also a slight tinny noise when reaching 3,000-4,000rpm, but this goes as soon as the gearbox changes up.

Thought anyone?

Well if the gearbox is going through fluid, then it's leaking it.

The gearbox will not "burn" oil like the combustion chambers of an engine. Running low on fluid will give all sorts of issues. Bar replacing the box, you need to find that leak.

The mechanic could not find a leak anywhere. There is a smell of burning oil though, and this was the reason for the above diagnosis.

Would there be excessive heat generated inside the gearbox, if there was an issue?

Well if you're smelling oil being burnt, it could be burning ATF is a bearing is shot and it's heating it up.

I cannot remember the flash point, but it's something like 185C or something like that, so from what you describe, (aka the smell and no leaks) something is generating a lot of friction heat. Given it's a Gen 6 a 2nd handbox is the obvious path to save the car. I wouldn't bother reconditioning the box on something that's at least 12 years old.

Sorry to here of your troubles m8y, The differential bearing is the most common on 2001-02 and that would be obvious, another thought have you checked the coolant lately as the transmission has cooler lines go into the radiator and these can fail if the coolant turned acidic and will eat into the internal pipe but then you would get coolant leaking into the gearbox and would smell like burning oil worth a look as you could knacker a perfectly good gearbox if you thinking of swapping it out?

I'm sure you will have a leak somewear and could even be a pressure leak e.g its only coming out whilst your driving :mellow:

check smell of oil... must be smell kinda like new oil... not smell like fish... if it does, its burning oil. How selecting gears? is it within few milliseconds or long and noisy with strong kick?

edit: i forgot... if u drive and u are stopping at traffic lights, dont put N in gearbox (only in hot days). Oil is circulating when some gear is selected (D, R etc.) if u put N, everything stops and oil is still... guess what happens in these hot days. I recommend u to leave it at D and handbrake it or brake pedal. I would change for ATF from honda. Maker says u dont need to change but.... its not expensive and u can do it by yourself... but gearbox must be warm when changing (not sure about this)

Thanks so much for the replies so far.

Yes, it is a new oil burning smell. I am going through about half a litre of ATF every three weeks (800 miles), and there are definitely no leaks of any kind. The gear change is at its most 'clunky' when cold, but feels better when warm. Changes are still a lot slower and ponderous at times, and kickdown is also a lot slower, as I find myself having to use more of the tiptronic function for faster overtaking.

do u smell new oil with petrol essence or do u smell pure fish smell?

is your D4 light showing error? It should come on (like SRS, ABS) and then off. if sometihngs wrong... it should flash i think..... i would try drain&fill 3 times... this could help.... lets start from the cheapest solution (or let dealer to do diagnosis)

edit: this may help too: when u are going slowly from dead, gearbox should change 2 times (gear 3) till u reach 30 or 40 mph. Changing must be smooth, no kicks, no delays. Let it on D4 and check whats happen. Go uphill and check gears (tiptronic), do the same with Reverse. If theres sometihng wrong, u can find it thru single gears for sure. Anything suspicious remember and let us know. Also changing from R to N to D4 to D3 etc. try everything... must feel little, but noticeable kick like "i want to move forward/backward". Check level fluid after u will do this.

I will ask my friend, he is gearbox and engine engineer

I don't know if this is anything, but I have noticed a few weeks ago that the D4 green light sometimes doesn't come on right away. I could go D2 (green on)..D3 (green on)..and then D4 with no light on, as if the bulb is busted. After about 10 minutes or 10 miles the light suddenly illuminates, as if the light has just sprung into life!

I just presumed that a metal contact either at the gear selector behind the instrument panel was playing silly buggers.

There isn't a petrol smell, just burning/hot oil.

I do get a delay between D3 and D4 if there is even a slight incline. The delay can be as much as 5-10 seconds, as if it is holding on to D3 but speed is increasing at a normal rate.

well.... this is though... mine D4 was busted too, i changed it (really hard to get to it). When starting engine it must come on with P light and then come off. After u select D4, it must be on. I would check that bulb and then we can go on next step.

well so much delay could mean low/burned oil or.... i dont have idea... but try to do tiptronic and switch between gears and notice delays. must be less than 1.5 secs. if its not, then theres problem with syncro mechanism

look after gears when going uphill, downhill.... try to do gear brake with tiptronic (must be noticeable kick - more than selecting gear from R to D4)