What's new

My wheel refurb

Mr CL7

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.0 petrol CL7
So i decided to buy myself some daily wheels as I didn't want to ruin my Rota's. So...

Here are the Mazda RX8 wheels in bad condition. Bubbling paint, flaking, major kerbing and pitting... First time I'm refurbing as well!

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

Materials used from Halfords and some at home:-

x1 240 wet / dry sand paper (4 in a pack) (coarse) - Halfords own brand
x1 1500 wet / dry sand paper (4 in a pack) (fine) - Halfords own brand
x2 60 diamond cut sand paper (to remove major kerbing) - found in shed
Paint stripper and a rag to clean wheels prior to primer / paint
x3 grey primer cans - Halfords own brand
x2 Simoniz steel colour spray cans
x1 laquer can - Halfords own brand

Cost of above was around £50-£60

Prep works taking a long long time, trust me!

Sanded with 240 wet / dry paper then 1500 wet / dry paper

DSC_0014-1.jpg

DSC_0017-1.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

Ready to be primed

DSC_0022.jpg

1st coat of primer

DSC_0023-1.jpg

All wheels after 2nd coat of primer

DSC_0025-2.jpg

DSC_0028-2.jpg

Ready to paint 1st coat

DSC_0029-1.jpg

2 coats of paint

DSC_0030-1.jpg

Next up will be the laquer stage...

Outcome
Very time consuming if Im honest but I kind of new that with the state of the wheels. There not 100% perfect with the kerbing still clearly visible on some of the lips but I'm happy with the outcome that's the main thing. Not bad for a weekend really!

Comments welcome

Keep us posted with how well it wears. I've thought about doing mine (they desperately need it!), but don't want to waste my time if it's going to bubble after a week or two!

Keep us posted with how well it wears. I've thought about doing mine (they desperately need it!), but don't want to waste my time if it's going to bubble after a week or two!

I did my winter wheels this year. They've been on since November and still look good, even with the crazy amount of salt our council thinks is necessary. Thought I'd post up a review at the end of the season.

Looking good Faz. This is the kind of job that you get really bored of sanding down really quickly isn't it? How did you get on with getting rid of the kerbing? Its a bit hard to see in the pictures. I've seen people use knifing putty or special wheel filler to get rid of the marks, might be worth doing unless you're not too bothered seeing as these are your daily wheels.

I did my winter wheels this year. They've been on since November and still look good, even with the crazy amount of salt our council thinks is necessary. Thought I'd post up a review at the end of the season.

Looking good Faz. This is the kind of job that you get really bored of sanding down really quickly isn't it? How did you get on with getting rid of the kerbing? Its a bit hard to see in the pictures. I've seen people use knifing putty or special wheel filler to get rid of the marks, might be worth doing unless you're not too bothered seeing as these are your daily wheels.

Tbh with you I sanded down the lip kerbs as much as I could with 60 grade diamond cut paper but a refurb company would have been ideal but this was a trial run for the first time. I'll see how they wear when I get them on the car.

Top job there Faz will they be ready for the Aces meet ;)

Dude to get rid if the curb rash you need an alloy filler. Just splat it on then sand it down to give a smooth finish. You already sanded the wheels so it would have been no extra work mate.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-ALUMINUM-Alloy-wheel-repair-filler-250G-silver-/360312961438?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item53e453799e

Dude they look great! How many hours have you put into them so far dude?

Dude to get rid if the curb rash you need an alloy filler. Just splat it on then sand it down to give a smooth finish. You already sanded the wheels so it would have been no extra work mate.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-ALUMINUM-Alloy-wheel-repair-filler-250G-silver-/360312961438?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item53e453799e

I could have done that but really couldn't be bothered tbh mate.

Faz the finish isnt too great mate. They need to be filled and then sanded down and flattened to get the best possible finish. There is a lot of imperfections in the spokes and the kerbing is very apparant.
Sorry mate just being honest with you

Faz the finish isnt too great mate. They need to be filled and then sanded down and flattened to get the best possible finish. There is a lot of imperfections in the spokes and the kerbing is very apparant.
Sorry mate just being honest with you

Shabz I did clearly say I'm not after a 100% job it'll do for dailies mate

Shabz I did clearly say I'm not after a 100% job it'll do for dailies mate
Yes true. Sorry mate i'm just very passionate about alloy wheel refurb. For dailies there great and in all fairness the paint job aint too bad either.