What's new

Mystery Tourer Boot Leak

Reiver

Members
Reaction score
Car
'04 i-CTDi Tourer
Need some help finding a leak that's making my tourers spare wheel well fill with significant amounts of water. :(

I don't commute by car so it's been parked on the road at various cambers in the rain without filling up, just perhaps a bit of minor moisture, so I don't think boot seals are knackered or gulleys are blocked. After spreading baby powder (normally for oil spills) around the boot, after short journey today in the rain there's about 5 cups of water in the well.

Allowing for a couple of sharp corners with the spare wheel acting as a baffle, I think the water is penetrating in on the right perhaps through sealant between the bumper and chassis. Didn't seem to be wet at the side panels.

typeaccord-tourerbootleak.jpg

Appreciate any thoughts?

You could sit in the boot and get someone to drive you through a car wash (jets from all directions) and see what happens.
Should be good for a laugh if nothing else! ;)

Have you got rails on the roof if so I would put my money on these.
If not then its probably a blocked drain hole somewhere

No roof rails and there are no stains or damp patches on the interior trim that I've seen for others with roof rails leaks. Unfortunately the shop manual CD doesn't cover drain holes so not sure where to start looking for those that might come from down the side of light cluster?

Did you resolve this ?

The problem was due to a split in the nearside panel seam behind the rear light and top of bumper. There had presumably been a knock in the past to the bumper which buckled a plastic offset mount near the seam. The water collected in the side well (near air vent) and then flowed over into the wheel well. Fixed with polyurethane sealant.

Reiver said:
The problem was due to a split in the nearside panel seam behind the rear light and top of bumper. There had presumably been a knock in the past to the bumper which buckled a plastic offset mount near the seam. The water collected in the side well (near air vent) and then flowed over into the wheel well. Fixed with polyurethane sealant.
Great [emoji106] will check that out I suspect may be same on mine as during jet wash no water was found in well. I was thinking under the car after reading your post all makes sense

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk