dinoc

Members
Reaction score
Car
2008 Accord Type-S
Hi guys,

I've discovered this function on the secret menu of the Navigation system:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/navihondajpg.jpg

Do you know what this is ? Does it mean we have the same A/C (like Acura cars) which takes care of the Solar angle (compared with the car's position) , it looks like the GPS sensor is working.
By default the Manual Tuning is OFF, but it allows me to turn it ON. ...

What do you know about this ?

I saw this on mine when I had microphone problems and wondered the same.

What 'secret menu? Anyone wanna let me in to the secret?

turn the engine off, put ignition key position to ACC, enter to the Navi screen and then press for 5 sec MENU+MAP+CANCEL

Merv, its our three fingered salute...the combination is on the forum somewhere.

I think the function is as you say Dinoc; the purpose of that little dome infront us the headlights sensor.

turn the engine off, put ignition key position to ACC, enter to the Navi screen and then press for 5 sec MENU+MAP+CANCEL

You can actually get there whilst moving... which is bizarre considering the refusal of the HFT to let you do much without the handbrake on.

Well I was unable to do it with the car moving or with the engine on ... anyway on the Acura website the full equiped versions have this function :
- GPS-linked temperature control system which, according to Acura, "monitors the sun's location relative to the vehicle and its intensity,
enabling the system to keep each side of the cabin at its designated temperature."

If we do also have this, that is preatty cool (!) ... but I'm wondering why Honda marketing don't mention anything about it ? :)

Maybe I'd better leave this 'secret' menu well alone. I have a habit of breaking things I don't understand! lol

I've used it just the once to test the microphone when I was having problems with it. It showed it not to working and was replaced under warranty.

So what is that little dome thingy then? I was sure hit was linked to the AC?

Aaaahhh.... I see.... I'll get me coat :D

But what surprises me is that Solar Angle is working it really shows you the position of the Sun compared with the car position and it allows you to do manual tuning on this.
So why isn't the A/C using it if is working ?
We do have light sensors on our cars, too .

Found more info here for Acura TL , here is the description of Solar Angle I can see on my CL9's Navi screen :

"
Solar Angle

This screen graphically displays the sun's position as determined by GPS. The climate control system uses the navigation systems sun angle, along with the sunlight sensor
to control the driver/passenger A/C air flow. The heat that the climate control unit removes varies, depending on the angle of the sun entering the vehicle. This screen is for
factory use only, and should not be adjusted.
  • The screen shows a circular diagram of the sky oriented in the direction that the vehicle is pointing. During daylight hours a red dot is shown, representing the direction
  • and elevation of the sun. The outer circle represents the horizon (0 degrees elevation). The middle circle is 30 degrees, the center circle is 60 degrees, and the very
  • center is directly overhead (90 degrees).
  •  The manual tuning button should always be OFF.
  •  The Angle is the angle that the sun (shown with red dot) is above the horizon.
  •  The vehicle value represents the angle, clockwise from North, to the direction that the vehicle position (VP) icon is pointing (always points straight up).
  •  The direction value is the angle, measured clockwise from the VP (straight up) to the suns position.
  •  The reliability ranges from 1 to 3, and represents the accuracy of the Vehicle Position relative to the sun.
"

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/acuramstr/2009-06-28_140203_navi_man.pdf

I was checking this today, during movement of the car trough the streets (and the sun angle does work, it shows me constantly the position of the sun) .

So how can we know for sure if our A/C is using this GPS Solar Angle feature or not ?

All I know is that when the sun comes through the windscreen I can feel the a/c speed and temp change to counteract the heat from the sun but this is because of the dome sensor on the top of the dash.

Yeo I've read the up to 08 TSX did not have this feature either ... to bad it looks like the car is equiped with all the needed sensors.

Yes, I've read the 03- 08 TSX did not have this feature either ... to bad it looks like the car is equipped with all the needed sensors.

I,ve just had a look in the manual and all it shows on page194 is sunlight sensor, position ( top of dash ) and temp sensor side instrument cluster, both come under climate control system heading, but it just says dont cover or spill liquids on them .

Steve

The dome one is for the a/c and then there is another sensor that's the one for the lights if you have auto lights.

Glad the 8th gen is better,agree with the confusing others, happend a few times to me :lol:

Got it Dave Two sensors top of dash , light sensor page121, sunlight sensor page 194