What's new

Need a new turbo....any advice or recommendations?

gerard_finn200

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 Accord i-CTDi
Hey lads...Looking like bad luck has hit me big time, had a few problems with the car last night, got it into the Honda dealer today for a diagnostic session and it turns out I need a new turbo! :(

The previous owner had it replaced with a new unit in July 2010 at 90k miles (I have the receipt to prove) and now here I go having to replace it yet again at 131k miles!! What's going on?? I got onto the suppliers of the new turbo and they said there has to be some engine problem causing the turbo to wear or give in so quickly, i.e. oil starvation/contamination or air contamination. The car has a full service history and has always been given genuine parts as well as plenty of extra care that very few other motors receive.

To be honest I'm absolutely gutted as the quotes I'm getting are horrific, €2500 from Honda for a new turbo+fitting or €1200 for a turbo alone from another supplier. I honestly don't know what I can do apart from park the car until I have saved the money.

Was there ever any issue with the Accord's turbo or is there any possibility I'd get some help from Honda UK as it was originally an English car?

Looking forward to the replies....

That suck man :(
But. Ebay one, really. No point in getting a brand new one. Used turbos start from £200 or you can get fully reconditioned one for £400. Here is the link:

Ebay Turbocharger

If you handy with tools you can replace it yourself, there was DIY somewhere as well...

Just please dont buy a new one, its so overpriced it hurts just to hear about it. Dan

Sorry to hear this Gerard but TBO there are not many cases of this problem in our cars.As the supplier has said there might be a problem with your car that has caused this again.
What this is i don't no only thing i can think of is insufficient oil lubricating the turbo itself.

Do you warm the car up and let it cool down properly?

If you go in to boost when the engine turbo is cold it will wear things very quickly.

Yeah but not in 40k it shouldn't, I would buy a used one from a Breakers yard (be sure to pay with credit card) or from ebay or something. Check it for shaft play in/out and side play before fitting.

Do you warm the car up and let it cool down properly?

If you go in to boost when the engine turbo is cold it will wear things very quickly.

Well I never drove it particularly hard, or on very rare occasions at least so I doubt I'd have gone much over 2.5k revs on most journeys. I know it should get proper time to warm and cool but I don't think any turbo has ever gone in 40k?

I was on the phone to a local Honda dealer this evening about a part exchange for a 2007 Type S and he seemed quite enthusiastic about it, even knowing that my car needed a new turbo.

The Type S is here http://www.jamesflanagan.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=774400&PHPSESSID=1c4d9ac86ec6da7511ab45875b78490d !

Opinions? Good idea to part with the guts of €4000 along with my own '04 2.2 i-CTDi for this?

Hmm that choice is hard. Used turbo and fitting should be under 1K from a non Honda garage.

2.0 petrol looks nice though.. But Thats 4k extra....

To me and according to the other prices these cars are making, my diesel was worth €6000-6500 in working order, I'm just afraid of putting another grand or a little over into the car because its money I'm not going to get back when it comes to sale time. When it's dead money I'm wondering should I just cut my losses and see what is the best I can get for a non-turbo Accord and put a bit with it to have a newer and hopefully more reliable car?

One member from this site breaking accord.Try call him,maybe you can get cheap.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2923999

http://www.adverts.ie/car-parts-accessories/honda-accord-2003-2008-2-2-tdci-parts/1838197

2.4 manual petrol accord. You will be a happy man. I know I would :lol:

A 2.4 to tax over here in Ireland? I'm not made of money!! :p I drove a 2007 Type S on Friday, gorgeous car to sit in but I found it a bit lacking in torque compared to the diesel. That must be your reason for recommending a 2.4! :blush:

As of today I still haven't decided what I'm doing, just powered on the pc to google turbo's in the UK! Luckily I'm not totally stuck as I have a 2004 Landcruiser on loan....now there's a quick motor ;)

A 2.4 can't be much more to tax than a 2.2, unless the diesel is 08 reg or newer ;)

Try Mckeown turbos NI they do new used and recon turbos and deliver all through ireland.

A 2.4 can't be much more to tax than a 2.2, unless the diesel is 08 reg or newer ;)
In England its 3x the amount for a facelift but not sure about in Ireland.

Brett, it's a mad system here, and since 2008 the tax on vehicles changed to a co2 based system, meaning oil burners were lower to tax due to lower c02's, and big engined petrols died off... :(

A 2008 CL9 2.4 would be over €1K to tax, yet the 2.2 diesel is around €380, my 2.0l petrol is €670 to tax per year. It absolutely kills me to tax it, but there's no way I'm going the diesel route!!

Well when I bought the 2.2 pre-budget last year the tax was 840 I think? It then jumped to 925 after the budget and I'd be inclined to think it will take another hike this year! :rolleyes:

As for the turbo issue, I've managed to find a re-manufactured unit for €450, with a years warranty, which I think is a normal price after all the calls I've made. I'm dropping the car off to a garage tomorrow morning to have the knackered turbo taken out, and all the pipes leading to it cleaned. The sump is to be cleaned too so hopefully that will help in keeping the car running as intended!

Between the turbo and labour I'm looking at about €850 which I'm happy with considering Honda's €2500 price tag! B)

Try Mckeown turbos NI they do new used and recon turbos and deliver all through ireland.

Funnily enough another business (that shall remain nameless) had supposedly kept a turbo for me, when I went to pay them later that day it was gone, so I ended up buying off McKeowns! €450 with a years warranty and delivered to my mechanic. Thanks for the advice!

The car is currently in the garage and I should have it back tomorrow so hopefully all will be well!