What's new

Need a spare key, does it need coding ?

Smudger32

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 Accord Type-V
I only got one key with my car so will need a spare, do they require coding, if so can this only be done at a Honda dealer ?

Cheers

I had the same situation, so I contacted Honda to get a price from them - fairly expensive - next I got in touch with a local auto-locksmith; he provided a chipped key that had to be coded via the obd socket so that the car recognised it. This was slightly problematic since the code that finally worked was not listed as being for my model. I think it cost about £60 all in, but this was considerably less than the quote from Honda. I then bought a second-hand fob on eBay (you would need to open up your existing fob to find out the serial number and make sure you get one with the same number) which I programmed using the instructions found on this forum - it took about 30 seconds and I think I paid £10 for the fob. The auto-electrician said that he could have provided me with a key with built-in remote central locking buttons if I had asked, though I think I prefer having a matching set.

I only got one key with my car so will need a spare, do they require coding, if so can this only be done at a Honda dealer ?

Cheers

Yes, either Honda will code it or you can do it yourself. My Father has a scanner which can do this, but they cost thousands.

A dealer shouldn't charge too much to do it. :)

Guys, I have a 2001... CG8...& only have a key with no fob or transponder...I would love to get my doors & everything working off my key...is there a number on my ignition barrel or anywhere else so I could get a fob that would work....don,t mind going to Honda to get it coded.
Cheers Eddie.