What's new

Need an Ignition barrel...any ideas?

DJEastOne

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Exec i-CDTI
Hey peeps,

Basically as it say in the ***le I need a new ignition barrel and set of keys for my accord. Haven't got a clue where the best place to look is, I've tried ebay and online breakers with no luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Welcome to TA

Think you might limited to main dealer on this one....

Thanks mate, thats what I was fearing tho, know they will charge through the roof for it.

has anyone heard about or experienced the tumblers jamming in the ignition cylinder before? its 2005 car with 90k mileage

Could the problem be the steering lock?
I doubt it as i had the same problem when the steering lock was off

it was an intermittant problem for a day or 2 now it's just seized completely

a guy on ebay has offered me the barrel and keys for £100 which is a decent price gonna go with that. Dont know if this is a job i would be able to do myself, anyone know if the barrel can be unscrewed or whether it will have to be drilled out?

On most cars you can't remove the ignition barrel if you can't turn the key to certain position.
If you can get the key to turn, it should be straight forward.

On most cars you can't remove the ignition barrel if you can't turn the key to certain position.
If you can get the key to turn, it should be straight forward.

Thanks rob.
i'll have to see how it goes, not looking forward to drilling it out tho, very messy!

Never heard this happen before, do you have a massive bunch of keys with your honda ones?

I dont know how the barrel is in place on the Accord, but on my last car it had tamper bolts but you can crack open with a chisel or grind it off and replace with new ones.
If your changing barrel and keys, dont forget to swap the transponder out of your old key otherwise your car wont start.

Never heard this happen before, do you have a massive bunch of keys with your honda ones?

I dont know how the barrel is in place on the Accord, but on my last car it had tamper bolts but you can crack open with a chisel or grind it off and replace with new ones.
If your changing barrel and keys, dont forget to swap the transponder out of your old key otherwise your car wont start.

I do have a few keys on my keyring but its not particularly heavy.

I'm considering to call a mobile locksmith to come and have a look, i know that on older cars you could remove the barrel and take it into a locksmith to have the tumblers fixed/replaced.

The car has just had a full service, the swirl control valve replaced and the egr/manifold all completely cleaned out, and is supposedly running like a dream, but I havent even had a chance to drive it, so frustrating!