What's new

Need Help !

DJSR

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2i CTDI
Hi all,

I've just spent **** loads of money on changing the steering rack, all front suspension parts (ball joints, anti-roll, tie rods, ect) and i now have another problem. I'm very close to ditching this car for another as its becoming a headache.

I posted this problem in another thread, but i thought i would open a new one if no one saw it, apologises for repeating again.

But i have a problem when i accelerate, its like i am losing power when i change in all gears, there is a delay when i re-apply the accelerater, and then the power kicks back in again. I am losing power i can tell from the vacuum sound of the engine and the engine is rattling more, but sometimes the vacuum comes back after a while. I went to Honda yesterday and they did a computer diagnostic, no fault codes all clean, but they said possible hole in exhaust manifold (as i do get a fuel smell in the cabin) or flywheel (which isnt making any noise when i change gear.)

This problem started straight after i changed the steering rack, as i did ask the mechanic to check the manifold due to fuel smell in the cabin, which i can smell more in the morning from a cold start.

I would really appreciate some help here guys, thanks in advance.

Serg.

Is the car diesel or petrol? (Sorry I can't see on the mobile version.

If diesel manifold or glow plugs, if petrol plugs leads etc.

Have a compression test done if none of the above.

If the problem started after the rack change has anything been knocked loose when fitting?

Hi Simon, thanks for the reply. Its a Diesel mate.

I went to Honda for a diagnostic, no fault codes, but they said a possible small hole in Manifold, although no signs of soot/dirt around that area. Car feels horrible to drive mate, especially on motorway. What damage can this cause driving it like this??

I'm onto Honda about this, as many have had their Manifolds replaced for free.

The fuel filter is a good shout too.

If you can smell exhaust in the cabin then if have to say a cracked manifold. This is a known issue and most Honda dealers are very helpful when it comes to fixing it.

If you can hear a vacuum noise could it be a split pipe? Have you checked all the pipes are fitted correctly, entirely pushed home into the mountings and of course tightened up? It could be something as simple as a boost leak through a small gap somewhere in the piping.

As long as there's no knock coming from the engine and there are no fault codes, and the engine had oil I wouldn't worry about any damage.

Was the rack changed at a dealership? It's possible a hose could have been knocked loose during fitting the new rack.

I should point out that I have very little experience with a turbo Diesel engine. All I know about turbo charged engines has been learnt via working on the Scoob.

Thanks for all the replies.

Already changed fuel filter for OEM and done full service last week. A non honda garage fitted the rack.

Sonething strange happened this morning. Started the engine, went to move and it stalled. Restarted and engine light came on and auto choke at 1200 rpms came on but i couldnt move the car, pressed down on the accelerater and did nothing, seemed like a system lock up! Turned engine off waited then restarted back to normal but engine light still on, but drove off ok. Light went off after driving around for a few hours this morning.

Regarding the manifold, I've contacted Honda Uk and tokd them about the problem, they will get back to me.

just read this and your other topic, could the fault be electrical related? sounds like a loose battery connection or bad earth?

Check all in take pipes to, there's a strong possibility something has been knocked when the rack was done.

I know it doesn't seem it, but it's good that the EML is on, now you've got a code to read :)

Loose electrical connection is a really good idea.

As you've now got the EML on though, your first port of call is to get the code read, hopefully will give you the answer to your problem.

luvmyaccord said:
I know it doesn't seem it, but it's good that the EML is on, now you've got a code to read :)

Loose electrical connection is a really good idea.

As you've now got the EML on though, your first port of call is to get the code read, hopefully will give you the answer to your problem.
The EML light went off though mate, so that tells me all sensors/electrical connections are in tact. I'm sure its the manifold causing this lag when i accelerate, still awaiting call back from Honda.

I thought that if the light had come on the code would be stored on the ECU.

When you get the manifold sorted at Honda get them to have a quick read of the ECU to see if there's a code stored.

Might be worth chasing Honda up about the manifold. Hopefully it'll be a pain free change :)

luvmyaccord said:
I thought that if the light had come on the code would be stored on the ECU.

When you get the manifold sorted at Honda get them to have a quick read of the ECU to see if there's a code stored.

Might be worth chasing Honda up about the manifold. Hopefully it'll be a pain free change :)
Hi Simon,

Just ran a diagnostic, error code P2148 & P2138 accelerator sensor. Where is the best place to get one and are they easy to fit?? I'm trying to locate the part number atm.

Cheers mate.

I think I posted a link a little while ago about how to get the car to re-learn the position.

I can't remember which thread I placed it in, not much help to you I know, I'll see if I can find the link again.

Cheers for that Simon, will give it a go at the local garage. But this says for the ABS code?? is it the correct link you send mate?

Also try spraying some electronic contact spray on the Throttle position sensor plugs, mine was playing up big time, couple of sprays and its been fine for the last 2 years, Honda wanted £250.00 to replace it!