What's new

Neutral or not?

Si74

Members
Reaction score
Car
2003 exec tourer
Being a new convert to automatics hope this isn't a silly question.
With both the Accords, I've noticed a slight 'pulsing'? when sitting
at junctions or lights, lever in drive and foot on the brake.
This goes away if I change into neutral.
Is it easier on the box if you change into neutral when stationery
for any length of time?
Might sound daft but often work long hours and the first time I decided
on adopting this approach I pushed the lever into reverse instead of pulling into drive.
Got away with it but only just.
Is it only me or does anyone else think the layout of the changes are arse for elbow?
would seem more logical to pull back for reverse.

Handbrake on select neutral, that's the safe way, just in case you hit the throttle! or somebody backends you, As far as I know all auto boxes are pull for drive and you have an indicator on the dash i.e. D is green. also the gate is clearly marked, so take your time and get used to it. NO EXCUSE FOR POOR DRIVING, even if you are tired. Poor thing LOL

Pull back is almost always drive. I think it's good practice putting into neutral, prevents possible disc warping and piĀ£#ing off drivers behind you.
Though won't have detrimental effect on the clutch pack leaving in drive.

I had just once auto gear box and always when stayed long time I put to N...
Theoretically staying on D or R is similar as for manual gear box have 1st gear engaged, semi- engaged clutch and hold brake at the same time .

As said by others Neutral is good practice avoids over heating the oil or at least keeping it cooler, not cold just not too hot if you know what I mean.
Some older Volvos and Vauxhalls that used the Aisin boxes had a clever auto neutral feature so if you were stationary on the brake pedal over a certain amount of time it slipped into neutral by itself reducing heat and wear on the box.

Oh and of course since you are not loading the engine sitting at idle in N will mean better efficiency = mpg as opposed to leaving it in D and loading the engine. Small but every little helps .......... slap )( slap........