What's new

New Alternator & Aux Belt Tensioner (Diesel)

accord_n22

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord I-CTDI
Hi All

Just the other day there was a slight whining chaffing noise coming from the aux belt after a long hard drive.
It has since gone away after the commute to work

I have recently changed the aux belt routing to the revise path couple months ago but I fear that the damage has already been done to the bearings of the alternator or tensioner pulley..

The noise has since gone away but want to be prepared if it ever comes back permanent
I think the alternator is the culprit as the old aux belt routing has been on the car since new so around 8 years (car is a 2006)

What do people recommend?

Buying a new alternator from Honda?
Buying a recondition condition one from Ebay
Buying a non major branded one
Or get just the bearings replaced inside the Alternator? (does the bearings need to machined pressed out?
(would it be easier just to replace the alternator?)

With regards to the tensioner pulley, would it be just a matter of purchasing Item 4 here without buying the full ***embly as it is quite pricey.
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_large_image_C50.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=E__3600&block_03=3063

Thanks again guys

Mine has been on since 04, it makes noises then they go away then they come back again, no apparent reason, I just squirt it with WD40, and hope for the best. Close inspection of the belt shows no deterioration and the charge light stays off, the battery keeps its charge, and I have a membership with Green Flag LOL

accord_n22 said:
Haha, yeah that is what I have been doing recently. It has the new belt routing so it doesn't have any more stress
Is this new revised belt a Genuine Honda part replacement?