What's new

New bush now vibration in the car - CL9

krism

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 Accord Type S
Hello all,

Hoping someone will have come across this issue. I replaced the lower front compliance bush on the drivers side a few weeks ago. Now before doing the job the car drove great, but the bush had split and the rubber had broken off the metal casing.

Removed the arm, old bush out, new bush in confirming orienation correct. Refitted it all and had to use a new droplink. Was a bit of a pain to refit but went with persuasion. Tightened all bolts up to correct torque.

After driving about for a couple of days the car felt harsh on the front. Searched this forum and others and mentioned need to tighten bolts up when suspension is loaded. So did this. Now there is a vibration through the car. Nothing in the stearing. My kids tv screens are fitted to the back of seats and they have been rattling since and never did this before :unsure: Any ideas? All other bushes look visually ok.

And also i'm getting a light 'twang' noise coming from the rear, most noticable at low speed over rougher roads.

Cheers!

Ok - as part of the replacement make sure the bolt from the coil over was also tightened with the suspension loaded. The following should be loose before loading and tightened afterwards:

LCA bolt (19mm)
LCA bolt (17mm)
Fork (14mm)
Drop link
Lower Balljoint castlenut

Also check that the ARB is properly functioning and not stuck somehow (unlikely)

Finally did you get the alignment checked after the work? FWIW I had the same symptoms but with a misaligned steering wheel

Oh and when loading the suspension I ***ume both sides were loaded not just jacked up on on side?

Finally (doing this from a phone) the twang from the rear? Could it be the ARB bushes?

Thanks very much mate. Yes I loaded both sides up but don't think i did the 14mm fork bolt loaded. Think i did it right up after i got it in.

I had the tracking checked by a mate using the basic equipment and it was still in line. Think i'll do it all again as it must be something in this area.

The fork bolt could be under stress with normal loading as a result. No harm in rechecking.

Also I thought the toe would be ok after the change as I didn't Go near the tie rods. But it wasn't. Seems the Accords are quite sensative to any messing with the suspension

Hello all,

Hoping someone will have come across this issue. I replaced the lower front compliance bush on the drivers side a few weeks ago. Now before doing the job the car drove great, but the bush had split and the rubber had broken off the metal casing.

Removed the arm, old bush out, new bush in confirming orienation correct. Refitted it all and had to use a new droplink. Was a bit of a pain to refit but went with persuasion. Tightened all bolts up to correct torque.

After driving about for a couple of days the car felt harsh on the front. Searched this forum and others and mentioned need to tighten bolts up when suspension is loaded. So did this. Now there is a vibration through the car. Nothing in the stearing. My kids tv screens are fitted to the back of seats and they have been rattling since and never did this before :unsure: Any ideas? All other bushes look visually ok.

And also i'm getting a light 'twang' noise coming from the rear, most noticable at low speed over rougher roads.

Cheers!

You might want to check the front antiroll bar "D" bushes - they are about 6quid each but if they are worn you might have an annoying knocking coming from under the car. The only way you will find whether they are the cause is to release the drop links to release the tension on the antiroll bar - my local Honda agent found the problem when I got them to change my drop links!!! - Car is Soooooooo quiet and vibration free now :)

Simon