What's new

New clutch fitted, can't engage gears properly.

TheJamMod

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Just had a new clutch fitted at an indie garage and I can't engage 1st and reverse. The others are okay when driving, but notchy when the engine's off.

Any idea what it could be?

The clutch isn't disengaging properly.
May have air in the hydraulic system.

If a bleed doesn't sort it, send it back.

Sorted. Just a bit of air. :)

Plus, I noticed that the clutch has to be fully engaged for shifts 1, 2 and 3 to be smooth as the clutch beds in.

Sounds like the clutch is still hanging a little.

May be worth flushing the fluid all the way through.

***uming they've disconnected the driveshafts to remove the 'box, do you know what fluid they've put back in there? These Honda's can be a little picky apparently.

(Although I swapped mine out to a comma recommended substitute for the Honda MTF, and it got rid of my crunchy 3rd gear synchro)

It is of course recommended that you use the Honda stuff according to the manual, but my car's done 20k on something different and the gearbox is slicker than whatever was in it before.

I asked them to put in the Honda MTF oil. It doesn't mean that they have.
I'll keep an eye on it for a few days and see how it goes.

A new clutch sure makes this car more driveable.

If you don't mind me asking how much did the clutch replacement cost and where was it done ? Might be needing one myself in the not so distant future.

And a stage 1 plus EGR delete remap to go with it of course :)

Cheers
Robin

Mine was like that when I had my clutch done, the best way I could describe it is it was like changing gear without the clutch I had to hammer it into gear, after a few days of use it simply dropped into place and the gears are smooth as silk now