What's new

New Honda Accord has a very hard ride

Don101

Members
Reaction score
Car
7th Gen 2.2 EX
Just taken car to the mechanic and he's taken a look at the suspension. Mechanic tells me the cars suspension looks fine and he can't see any issues. Adds that it looks like it's got a sports suspension from the factory. Does anyone know if three are any adjustments that can be made to ensure a smoother ride. Any help most appreciated.

Can you get a photo up of the ride height as this will tell if the car has been lowered.
Also if it's a genuin Honda suspension its probably Aspec and not adjustable

Hi there I'm new to Accords but have you got 17" wheels. Apparently they ride a lot better on 16". Mines 17" and feels a bit stiff and fidgety at times. Similar to my old Jag X types in fact.

drobbins777 said:
Hi there I'm new to Accords but have you got 17" wheels. Apparently they ride a lot better on 16". Mines 17" and feels a bit stiff and fidgety at times. Similar to my old Jag X types in fact.
My tourer is on 16"s and many have told me to leave it alone however, I have not been in an Accord on 17"s so I don't know how much worse it is. Common sense tells you that there is a bit more 'tyre' to absorb more of the bumps on a 16" over a 17".
17"s look better though!!

Hi there,

Just to add, I've taken it to my mechanic and apparently the front passenger sides tyre wall was punctured, therefore needed replacing. The rear tyre was also quite low, therefore he took the front drivers side wheel off and put it on the rear. Then he put 2 new tyres on the front with new disc pads. The cars driving a lot smoother now compared to before, which is a massive improvement. It's still not as smooth as I would like, but like my mechanic said, the suspension is factory spec, therefore not adjustable. Therefore I suppose I will just have to live with it.

Regards

drobbins777 said:
I have 16's on my tourer, I too used to have an X type Sport Premium, the ride was appallingly firm, sports suspension and 18s with 45 profile - ouch, especially on Britain's knackered roads

I too thought about upgrading to 17's, but the reviews across all independent reviewers, such as Honest John http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/accord-2003/ state that the cars ride better on 16's

Plus you have the additional expense of bigger tyres and plethora of tyre makes out there vying for your hard earned.

I had a binding rear brake after i bought the car from dealer, as it had been stood for a bit prior to sale - they said (Honda dealer) that is was a common issue during winterish weather.

I wouldn't say that going from 16's to 17's made much difference to the ride in my Accord. The only downside was a bit more road noise.

If you don't like your sports suspension I'll bring my car to you and your mechanic can swap mine with yours if you want :)

16s on my tourer feel like I'm driving on a cloud. I love it.