What's new

New Owner

hughgeorghan

Members
Reaction score
Car
2001 Accord 1.8
Evening all,

Have just bought myself a 2001 Gen 6 Accord 1.8 Sport. Am having the belt and water pump done tomorrow and plan on giving it a oil service next week.

Couple of questions:

It has a knocking from the o/s/f. I immediately thought of a drop link but looking through the history it appeared to have had this done less than 2 years ago. Both top arms were done when this was done too. Any thoughts as to what it might be?

I'm pretty sure the o/s/r wheel bearing has gone due to the noise its making between 50-70 mph. Can anyone tell me the the size socket I would need for the axle nut and what its torque setting is? To be honest I might just chuck it in a garage for them to do the work if this weather continues! Hours labour?

Lastly, I've had a quick look at the oil change how to but was slightly unsure as to the best place to put the axle stands. Would this be on the drop down tabs that looking at the manual seem to be for the scissor jack to locate into?

Thankyou in advance

Hi Simon, Welcome to TypeAccord.

The knocking is the usual suspects of droplink and balljoints (worth having another look at them) however you could look at the Anti-Roll Bar bush too, just follow ARB from the droplink until you see the bracket holding it to the car - look there for excess movement.

I'm sure the axle nut is 36mm. It is torqued to 245Nm / 181lbf-ft.

I put the axle stands under the jack lift point as you mention. If you have a big enough jack you can raised the car at the front and slip the axle stands under them on both sides. http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/14736-diy-6th-gen-oil-filter-howto/

Here is a service record schedule for our model if you wish to renew or inspect at the same time ...

service_zps0bcc9f98.jpg

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for the reply. I'll have a look for any movement at the front end when I have the car up on stands to get to the oil filter. Though looking at the how to I might leave it to a garage to do as it seems it will more than likely be stuck fast and I dont have any impact tools or a plumbers torch.

Also, the heater only works on setting 4. This seems to be a fairly common fault pointing towards the heater resistor. a quick check on ebay turned nothing up- any idea if there are pattern alternatives out there as I'd imagine a genuine Honda might be a bit pricey. I'll be changing the cabin filter too as one of the previous owners must have been a heavy smoker as the car stinks and the air flow from the vents seems to be pretty poor.

Thanks again

You can tackle the droplinks without the plumbers torch and impact gun for sure, however it will take a bit longer. Some folk grind them off or just persevere with a socket and penetrating oil.

Not sure if they are any alternative resistor packs, probably a scrappy for an old unit is an option. Maybe an interesting read here on how the Honda (civic) resistor pack works and fails...http://honda-tech.com/tech-misc-15/blower-motors-works-speeds-3-4-but-not-1-2-fix-how-2082345/

I'd done a wee guide on the pollen filter, have a look if you plan to tackle yours http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/14981-diy-6th-gen-pollen-filter-howto/

Thanks again Andy,

I'm getting a couple of quotes for the work to be done. I'll change the cabin filter as per your guide to try and improve the air flow- Having read the linked article I can wait until I've located one at a scrappy as at least I know it wont fail completely.

Your help is much appreciated