What's new

New Tyres 225/45 17

funkyplates

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type S
Hi Guys, not a regular here but after some advice please. I have a 2.0 Type S with the optional 17 inch wheels. All 4 tyres are nearing the end and I'm looking to replace. I've had the car for around 17k miles and have not been that impressed with the ride. Which tyres would you recommend as a replacement. Currently on Bridgestone Potenza 225/45. Also, any good deals out there at the moment?

Also noticed a knocking noise from the rear, what could that be?

Many Thanks

Lee

iv got the falken tires bud they have been pretty good even though im dropped by 60mm and running 18" wheels,yokohama would be anothetr good one :)

Hi Guys, not a regular here but after some advice please. I have a 2.0 Type S with the optional 17 inch wheels. All 4 tyres are nearing the end and I'm looking to replace. I've had the car for around 17k miles and have not been that impressed with the ride. Which tyres would you recommend as a replacement. Currently on Bridgestone Potenza 225/45. Also, any good deals out there at the moment?

Many Thanks

Lee

Had a Similar knocking sound myself, which became more obvious as my tyres dropped to lower tread depths, turned out to be ARB Bushes in the rear.

I Changed my tyres (prevailing wisdom for 225/45/17, here is Falken F452's or Michelin's) I went for Toyo Proxes T1-R so far i'm impressed.
Also used mytyres.co.uk as good price fully fitted with new valves etc.

I was impressed by ride improvement after replacing the rear ARB bushes, i'm going to do the front ones next month too for the full benefit.

Previously rear droplinks have needed replacing causing knocking sounds too.

Hope this helps.

Had a Similar knocking sound myself, which became more obvious as my tyres dropped to lower tread depths, turned out to be ARB Bushes in the rear.

Both ARB Bushes and Droplinks are cheap to replace and worth checking.

S drives on the front, and T1-Rs on the rear. Can';t go wrong.

Back to tyres, go with Michelins ever time. Having worked with several OEM tyre companies I can tell you that Michelins are tested far more strenously than any other brand of tyre. If you pick up last years model theyre usally a fair price - I think that was Michelin Primacy? However I guess a lot depends upon
1) your budget - you only have a few inches of rubber between your 1 ton car and the road. Its common sense to get the best you can - dont skimp on them. Cheap tyres compromise braking, handling, ride, road noise, economy, & ultimatly yours & other peoples safety. Simply not worth the risk.
2) your proposed use (driving style). Some tyres offer a lot more grip, but the price you pay for that is shortened life due to soft compound wear.
Worth paying a bit more from my experience.

Thanks Guys. Just found out that Costco are doing 20% off 4 Michelin and I'm a member there. Will check them out next time I'm there. Failing that I'll look at the other tyres you've recommended....

I've normally gone budget/midrange on tyres but starting to realise how important they are.

Re ARB bushes and droplinks - Thanks, I'll investigate....

Whats your budget? On my on V6 mondeo I had goodyear F1 asametric 2 which were brilliant (expensive tho £500 odd) I normally ran Falken FK452 on it and they were good I would use them again. They were 225/40/18 tho. On my 172 I ran uniroyal rainsports which were brilliant in the wet!

The accord has F1 asametric 1 on front which are nice and bridgestone on the rear.

Brilliant website for reviews here www.tyrereviews.co.uk

Back to tyres, go with Michelins ever time. Having worked with several OEM tyre companies I can tell you that Michelins are tested far more strenously than any other brand of tyre. If you pick up last years model theyre usally a fair price - I think that was Michelin Primacy? However I guess a lot depends upon
1) your budget - you only have a few inches of rubber between your 1 ton car and the road. Its common sense to get the best you can - dont skimp on them. Cheap tyres compromise braking, handling, ride, road noise, economy, & ultimatly yours & other peoples safety. Simply not worth the risk.
2) your proposed use (driving style). Some tyres offer a lot more grip, but the price you pay for that is shortened life due to soft compound wear.
Worth paying a bit more from my experience.

Up until a recently I'd have agreed totally, I've always gone with Michelins - Pilot Sports of various vintages and Primacy when I needed long life - but having read a lot of reviews I just replaced my worn fronts with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 (the "2" is the important bit). Grip and turn in is phenomenal in wet and dry, and they're a bit cheaper than the Michelins. Can't say much about wear so far, but they are quiet, and the wear is meant to be much improved on the origianl Eagle F1s.

HTH

I Changed my tyres (prevailing wisdom for 225/45/17, here is Falken F452's or Michelin's) I went for Toyo Proxes T1-R so far i'm impressed.
Also used mytyres.co.uk as good price fully fitted with new valves etc.

I was impressed by ride improvement after replacing the rear ARB bushes, i'm going to do the front ones next month too for the full benefit.

Hope this helps.

How do you find the wear rate on the Toyo's, given the Accord is much heavier than a small hatch I wouldn't imagine the tyres lasting long tbh?? :(

@OP, you really need to buy the Honda (A-Spec) lowering kit to maximise the handling benefits of the car, I've the very same model and was getting bored of it until i fitted the kit :D

Guys not another tyre thread there are about 3 already.
Just use that search button and you will find.

Hehehehe Tyre threads FTW!!! :lol:

Anywho, with regard to the wear rate of the Toyos. I had them on the front of my old 6th gen. Did about 20K miles on them, and they still didn't need changing. The wear rate on them is very low.

Thanks guys and sorry Brett, not much up on the forum stuff. Am going to go with Costco as the 20% deal is good - works out at £98 a corner which sounds good to me. I've left it a bit late for all the research as tyres are pretty much on the limit and with all the rain I'm getting a bit nervous...Thanks for all your replies though.

Lowering kit sounds interesting, was also thinking about engine mods as I'm sure there's alot of extra power in there somewhere!! I'll have a go on the search......

Thanks

Lee

Im on bridgestone potenza re050's but will be looking to replace before winter this year, or even after winter next year as i've still got my winter tyres from last year that only did 2k if that.

Recently found a new tyre im thinking of going for, the Bridgestone Potenza Adrenaline RE002. I like super solid sidewalls so these should fit the bill, plus the tread design is sexy. Check them out if you've not bought anything yet. Ideally i'd like to get the semi slick road legal Yokohama Advan AD08's but with track use i'd need a baffled sump and noone does one for the K24 so i've yet to figure that out, so these RE002's look like the best bet so far as the impreza tyre Potenza RE070's dont come with a 91 load rating.

Im on bridgestone potenza re050's but will be looking to replace before winter this year, or even after winter next year as i've still got my winter tyres from last year that only did 2k if that.

Recently found a new tyre im thinking of going for, the Bridgestone Potenza Adrenaline RE002. I like super solid sidewalls so these should fit the bill, plus the tread design is sexy. Check them out if you've not bought anything yet. Ideally i'd like to get the semi slick road legal Yokohama Advan AD08's but with track use i'd need a baffled sump and noone does one for the K24 so i've yet to figure that out, so these RE002's look like the best bet so far as the impreza tyre Potenza RE070's dont come with a 91 load rating.

Go for these....but if it's raining, either drive something else, or go VERY slow

httpimg488.imageshack.usimg4887664toyosa7.jpg

uniroyal rain sport 2 all round on my car and cant fault them, excellent in the wet and very good in the dry and wear rate is good too.

OK guys, Had the new tyres fitted Weds night at Costo. Michelin Pilot Sport 3, £93.11 each all in. That includes being filled with Nitrogen which is supposedly better? Free top ups any time I'm there. Great service all in all. Really happy with the way the Accord is now drving and should be much better in all the water that's around......

Many Thanks

Lee

I'm now running 17" Bridgestone Potenzas S001s on my Accord Type S. Must say i'm impressed with them as they are an improvement over the previous set of Pirelli PZero Rossos.

I've been through quite a few different brands of tyres on my Accord and have also found the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 really good. Not sure about longevity as driving very little now but grip in wet and dry has been good and tyre noise minimal. Althoug I paid £122 a corner for mine! But worth every penny.

I always prefer Bridgestone due they hard/stiff sidewall (compared with soft sidewall you get on Michelin for instant)
I currently have RE050A but those RE002 looks very good indeed.