What's new

Newbie - Hi and a few questions

Tom_W

Members
Reaction score
Car
TCB
Hi all,

I'm considering an Accord tourer diesel - it seems to be the only reliable car on the road!

I was hoping you might be able to answer a few questions?

Phone and Hifi:
- I'd like to be able hook up my iphone to the stereo, ideally with the ability to change tracks on the steering wheel? Is that possible either with what's built in, or by using say a parrot system?
- Equally, I'd like to be able to use the iphone as a hands free phone. If the car I get doesn't have the bluetooth prep, is it possible to retrofit, or again will the parrot option work?

Load Capacity:
- I'm buying the car to transport mountain bikes. Some of the time I'd like to be able to carry one in the boot (which I will get a liner for). Has anyone done this and is there enough room? I'm happy to remove the front wheel if need be.
- Does the boot fold completely flat and does anyone know the length of the boot with the seats down (I can't find this number anywhere!)?
- The roof line looks low on the accord, does that reduce the usefulness of the boot at all?

Many thanks in advance.

Welcome, im sure someone will know the answers to your questions on here. ;)

Hi all,

I'm considering an Accord tourer diesel - it seems to be the only reliable car on the road!

I was hoping you might be able to answer a few questions?

Phone and Hifi:
- I'd like to be able hook up my iphone to the stereo, ideally with the ability to change tracks on the steering wheel? Is that possible either with what's built in, or by using say a parrot system?
- Equally, I'd like to be able to use the iphone as a hands free phone. If the car I get doesn't have the bluetooth prep, is it possible to retrofit, or again will the parrot option work?

Load Capacity:
- I'm buying the car to transport mountain bikes. Some of the time I'd like to be able to carry one in the boot (which I will get a liner for). Has anyone done this and is there enough room? I'm happy to remove the front wheel if need be.
- Does the boot fold completely flat and does anyone know the length of the boot with the seats down (I can't find this number anywhere!)?
- The roof line looks low on the accord, does that reduce the usefulness of the boot at all?

Many thanks in advance.

Welcome to TA Tom as for your I phone mine works perfect with the Hands free.
But as for linking it to play tracks to use on the steering wheel i haven't found a way as yet.Your best bet is what iv done and put all my tracks on a flash stick and it plugs straight into the USB in the arm rest.
As for boot space i have a saloon so cant help on that.

I would be a bit careful with that first sentence if I were you. You should perhaps do some homework (such as reading all the diesel fault threads on here first) before blindly ***uming that the diesel accord is the only reliable car on the road. :)

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/owners-reviews/honda/accord/tourer-2008/review/7698/

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/owners-reviews/honda/accord/tourer-2008/review/6969/

this review answers your questions about boot space http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Honda-Accord-Tourer-22-i-DTEC-EX-GT/

''Where did all the function go on the Accord Tourer?

Lowering the roofline and making the hatch ‘faster’ rather than virtually vertical as on the old model reduces space. Badly. Seats up, the Tourer actually offers less room than the saloon (406 vs 460 litres). The old Tourer managed a whopping 626 and even the new A4 Avant has 490.

At least there's a useful extra 53-litre rectangular under-floor space that will fit a mid-sized weekend bag. But fold the rear seats down and the main luggage area only expands to 672 litres up to the waistline – the old one did 921 to the same point. Let's not beat around the bush: this is a serious disappointment on an estate car.

It gets worse... impracticality rules

There are still shopping hooks on the boot walls and a helpful one-height load floor (there’s no lip), but the wheel arches intrude significantly to
impede long wide loads and you can no longer slot away the tonneau cover under the load floor when not needed – a genius design touch on the old wagon.''

Do a search for 'xcarlink' re: hooking up devices to the stereo.

I can only speak for the 7th gen: The boot is flat with the seats down, though if you get one with cargo nets fitted they create an (annoying!) bulge that effectively shortens the boot at the bottom (see HERE).

I'll go see how long the boot is with the seats down and report back...

Edit: EIGHTH gen. My bad :blush: (Get a good 7th gen, the boot is massive!)

You can thumb through tracks from the wheel if you've got your I phone plugged in via USB. You can't adress the I phone menu's from the wheel though. That has to be done via the console buttons.

I'm a keen mountain biker and could get one bike in without removing the wheel carefully and lowering the back seats.

Wouldn't necessarily agree with the reliability statement!

Refined car though but frustratingly impractical. Sold mine now and have to say I'm not missing it!

Look at the 7th Gen bud.... the boot has its own time zone..... today I was shed cleaning. I got 3 - yes 3 hot water tanks, two taken from huge London town houses. The scrap dude had to cut them in half to weigh them. Plus two SACKS of pikey copper.

On trip 2 I had a collapsed king size bed ( no mattress though). A monster box of books, one of then sit-in baby trundle things they have when they're learning to walk, and a cold water tank that held 250+ litres of water (filled with stuff).

Not many other drivers arriving at the tip with a grin like mine... remap baby ;)

On Monday I am off to the airport with missus and little dude to collect the outlaws complete with two suitcases and two cardboard boxes that from experience makes your average baggage handler dream of another strike.

I would be a bit careful with that first sentence if I were you. You should perhaps do some homework (such as reading all the diesel fault threads on here first) before blindly ***uming that the diesel accord is the only reliable car on the road. :)

Hi Chris

If there's one thing I couldn't be accused of it, it's a lack of research! I can tell you about the failings of every BMW, ***, Ford, PSA, etc. diesel engine for the last five years! That was what actually led me to the 2.2 diesel honda unit - fitted in the accord it seems to be very well behaved (in the Civic it's another matter obviously, but then that is also a different engine). The Accord as a car is probably a bit too small in the back to be ideal, but I really want something reliable too.

So anyway, please do enlighten me, I've seen the 8th gen diesel faults forum here and it contains 3 threads - which is astonishingly low compared to the forums for the other marques mentioned above. I've also read back for about 15 pages on the main 8th gen thread, again with no signs of major clutch, injector or DPF issues? What I am I missing?

cheers, Tom

Also, many thanks for all the info everyone, very helpful :)

The 7th gen does probably make more sense, but I've always had a bit of a dislike for the styling of the tourer (sorry!) and I'm not sure I can bring myself to get one. I really like the look of the 8th gen, but then I guess those low lines are what make it impractical too.. Perhaps I should just buy a passat and wait for the turbo to eat itself :lol:

Hi

My Iphone pairs up with our Accord Tourer no problems. Then I use the voice commands to dial and call. It just doesn't recognise podcasts from the audio menu (when attached by the USB) so I put podcasts into a playlist on the iphone and it's sorted.

Keen cyclist here! In terms of mountain bikes, you'll not get a bike (particularly a full susser) into the boot of a VIII Accord even with both wheels and seat post (or dropper down). You'll need to fold the seat and take the front wheel out. In our VII gen tourer (and Merc E class estate) you could either get the bike under the load cover (both wheels out) or in complete (wheels in) with the seats down. Although actually most of the time I have a detactable tow bar and rack for the MTBs.