What's new

Newbie with Heater Control Panel Question

jakey1973

Members
Reaction score
Car
2001 Accord Sport
Hi everyone

Im a newbie here and have out of politeness introduced myself officially in the newbie section!

As mentioned ive just bought my first Honda Accord Sport and it has a few niggly problems Im hoping one or two of you can help me fix. The first of these is as follows....the heater control knob that controls the cold and hot air only turns 2/3 and not fully. it will go full to hot, but not full to cold. when i try to get it to go full to cold, it springs back to about 1/3 postion. Altho the actual air is cold(er) when its there and is hot when turned to hot; but its annoying that it wont turn completely! Anyone with any ideas why this could be?

I am not sure if this has something to do with it or not, but when the fan is switched on (1,2,3 or 4) the power seemingly only comes out the passenger side. What i actually mean is that I hear the blower tone change the more power i select but its as if it channels it all in one area, the passenger side. I do feel an increase of air flow from the vents but its not as much as you would expect.

As i said im not sure if both are connected in any-way, so im asking if anyone on here has had a similar experience and knows a fix??

Anyone with any ideas.

Thanks everyone!

Geoff.

Hi Geoff.
i had a similar problem with my heater control turned out that the clip holding the cable had become detached.

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17S4A11&block_02=B__1700&block_03=6964

The clips are numbered 4 in the above link.

Anyway reattached the clip and so far have had no more problems.

Have you renewed the pollen filter, will increase air flow greatly...

Oh...no i havent...and i dare say the previous owner never had either....looks a pain in the butt job to do having to remove the glove box etc !!

Needs must tho ehh....i think this is a job for the weekend!

thankyou!

Hi Geoff.
i had a similar problem with my heater control turned out that the clip holding the cable had become detached.

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17S4A11&block_02=B__1700&block_03=6964

The clips are numbered 4 in the above link.

Anyway reattached the clip and so far have had no more problems.

Oh my god....thanks Rimmo!! how on earth did you re-attach it?? And which one was it?!

did you have to take the control panel out to get at it? this could be a bit of a mare i reckon!

cheers again!

Oh my god....thanks Rimmo!! how on earth did you re-attach it?? And which one was it?!

did you have to take the control panel out to get at it? this could be a bit of a mare i reckon!

cheers again!

Hello again....after much fretting and a lot of blood and sweat i managed to get the heater control panel out of the hole....but everything looked to be in place including all the clips. So unfortunately this problem persists.

So, following the ESM to the letter; i had to disengage both the Temperature Control and Mode Control cables from under the driver and passenger dash. When i did this i noticed that with the Temp Control cable, the mechanism on the heater box itself swings back and forth, but when bringing it back into the cold position there was some major resistance and the "clunking" noise was heard again....and all the time it wanted to spring back!

Could this be something inside the heater box jamming the mechanism, thus stopping the knob from rotating fully? Has anyone had a similar problem and found a fix ?

Anyone.......? :wacko: