What's new

No driver door detection

Paulie102003

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Ok, so my very well behaved car has decided to throw its toys out of the cot a little bit and get upset over something.

Basically, when I open the drivers door, the car does not detect at all that it is open. No chime from the keys being left in the ignition, no puddle lights, no interior dome light, no indication on dash etc. All of the other doors work fine, car detects them all as normal, but the drivers door it doesnt seem to like anymore.

Anyone got any ideas?

The only fuse I can find for interior lights is no.6 which is all absolutely fine and I didnt think it was the fuse anyway because if it was, none of the doors would activate either its puddle or interior light. Also, correct me if I am wrong, even if the no.6 fuse had blown, it would still show the door ajar on the dashboard. Swapped the door switch as well to see if that was faulty, and it made no difference. MICU?

i suspect its the plastic plunger thing that acts as a switch is stuck. simply free it. If not or if the Accord hasn't got one it could be a micro sensor in the locking mechanism which would mean a trip to the breakers for a new locking mech.

I no longer have my accord so cant check which of the two possibilities you have.

Not sure what the locking mechanism has to do with it, but thanks anyways.

As mentioned, I swapped the door switches around and no joy. Broke out the multimeter and there is no current going to the door switch. Tested the same on the passenger front door and its a constant 12v live feed, so for some reason, the drivers door switch isnt receiving any current. Surely there arent separate fuses for each door, can only find the one which appears to apply to the doors and lighting

Yes start by checking the door plug. It could seized. If that's fine then you might have a break in the wiring

Door switch/plug is fine, tested it with another one from the passenger side and there is no current going to the door switch. Il rip apart the side of the car when it stops raining and see what I can find. The more I read up on it, sounds like the MICU unit. Thanks for the replies so far.

Keep us updated pal. The first place I would look at is the plug at the door and check for broken wires there. Hopefully it just a broken or corroded connection

Thats what I was thinking. There is no current at the point where the connector connects to the door switch/plug in the B pillar, so I want to follow the wire back to the fuse box and see at which point I start getting power again. If I dont get it sorted, I am sure that the missus will unlock the car, put the keys inside, close the door and it will lock itself as it hasnt detected the door being opened. lol

So, found this:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28390

His symptoms are identical to mine, only I wasnt foolish enough to blow mine up by bad modding and use of tools. Looks like you can get replacement boxes for 30 odd notes second hand, so might try that.

Only mentioned micro switch as i had an identical issue on a Vectra i once owned. There is a micro switch in the locking mechanism which lets the ecu know if it is open or closed. My door open symbol was permanently on and the interior lights never came on when the door was opened.

Ended up changing the locking mechanism which was pretty easy as it goes and it solved the issue.

These threads should help.

The TSX is identical to the Accord in the US so all the threads are relevant.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tsx+micro+switch&oq=tsx+micro+switch&aqs=chrome..69i57.7939j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=acura%20tsx%20door%20lock%20problem&safe=off

Thanks crespo, appreciate the effort you are putting into helping me, and please do not take this as anything other than myself trying to seek clarity, I am a bit confused by your post, the issue I am having is that when I open, physically open, the drivers door, the car does not detect that the door is physically open. This issue is only the drivers door and none of the others. Whilst I appreciate what you are saying, could you explain to me how the locking mechanism, which works fine, can cause the issue of the car not seeing the door being physically open? Its getting late at night and I think my brain is shutting down. :lol:

Thanks crespo, appreciate the effort you are putting into helping me, and please do not take this as anything other than myself trying to seek clarity, I am a bit confused by your post, the issue I am having is that when I open, physically open, the drivers door, the car does not detect that the door is physically open. This issue is only the drivers door and none of the others. Whilst I appreciate what you are saying, could you explain to me how the locking mechanism, which works fine, can cause the issue of the car not seeing the door being physically open? Its getting late at night and I think my brain is shutting down. :lol:

There is a micro switch actually on the mech. The bit that actually locks the door (not the handle end) which tells the ecu if the door is open or shut. it will still open and close ok but the car won't know the door even exists. I.e there will be no illumination or the illumination won't dim when the door is opened or closed and the door open symbol on the dash will stay illuminated or not illuminate dependent on which position the micro switch was when it went faulty.

Now this is all ***uming the Accord doesn't use the old door plunger style switch and is micro switch operated.