What's new

No low beams!

block

Members
Reaction score
Car
56 Ex diesel saloon
New discs and pads came yesterday and today I picked up a caliper rewind tool. So I did the brakes. During this the post came with my new H1 bulbs for the low beams as both were not working. After the stupidly fiddly job of removing the old bulbs was completed, I fitted the new ones. I tested these before I attempting the even fiddlier job of re-locating these along with the securing clip. They dont work. The element looks complete in both bulbs and the fuses are also intact. Anyone got any ideas please?
Cheers

PS. Cheers Alnug for the DIY guide to replacing the brakes. A nice straight forward job with money saved as well. Brilliant.

check your fuses. They are in the engine bay just above the battery. There are two 10 amp fuses, One for each side.

Sorry, meant to say I've checked the fuses. Hoping its something easily sorted. Would a reader/diagnostic tool help diagnose the fault? I presume these tools will diagnose pretty much everything.

Unfortunately they won't (I believe) as our cars aren't CANBUS.

Sorry, meant to say I've checked the fuses. Hoping its something easily sorted. Would a reader/diagnostic tool help diagnose the fault? I presume these tools will diagnose pretty much everything.

I know it will be a pain in the **** but have you tried one of your old bulbs to see if the new ones are knackered.?? I know you said you tested them but i ***ume everything was ok before you installed the new bulbs.
If so it can only be the fuses or the bulbs.

I know it will be a pain in the **** but have you tried one of your old bulbs to see if the new ones are knackered.?? I know you said you tested them but i ***ume everything was ok before you installed the new bulbs.
If so it can only be the fuses or the bulbs.
Neither low beam worked when I got the car, I bought it from an auction so didnt know at the time. After removing both bulbs it was evident the element wasnt complete. Think it unlikely that both new bulbs are duff. Plus the element looks complete in the new ones.
Cheers.

Have you got a multimeter? Or a test light? check for power at the connector that goes onto the bulb.

You could also use it to test for resistance across the bulb terminals - 0.4 ohms or so I would have thought?

I dont have a tester but the car goes on the road Monday so I will get a kid at work to bring his. I hope there is power at the connector and its just some ***** bulbs.

It seems to me that if the old lamps were duff and the new ones are as well its not the lamps at all.
You need to get a voltage reading at the terminals of the lamp connections its a process of elimination.
If there is no voltage then its not the lamps.
Next step check fuses if OK then between the fuses and the lamps there might be a break or loose connection in the cable.
My gut instinct there is a bad connection in the crimps that attach to the lamp.

Could be a faulty light switch too but I'd say thats highly unlikely more likely a bad connection somewhere.

honda can check the system with there tester as its a part of there multiplex system,but as the car been in a accident as the under hood fuse box as a control unit built in.i would check every fuse in the under hood fuse box
i would check the basics first.

Problem solved.
I am not the cleverest man in town, and it would appear that the locating clip that holds the bulbs in place forms part of the circuit! At least it was an unexpensive fix!

Cheers for all the thoughts on this matter.

Nice one Paul... Nice when its simple ain't it?