What's new

nocking noise front front

manparis

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
I have recently noticed a knocking noise coming from the car. its accord cdti 53 plate sport. Iv had new lower wishbones and drop links last yr and its been fine but the knocking has just started. It sounds like its coming form the front and only does it when the suspension hits a lump or hump in the road. so especaially speed humps. Iv jacked it up to see if theres anything I can see wrong. Iv tugged at the drop links and they are fine. All the rubber bushes on top and bottom wishbones look ok on both sides of the car. To describe the sound I would say its like you got a loose wheel and knocking wobbling noise you get with that , but it doesn't do it all the while else I would suspect bearing drive shaft cv joint.
Any ideas would be greatful ?? really baffling me

My first instinct would be the drop link, yours are ok going by what you said, next would be the anti roll bar bushes, then the upper ball joint.Can sometimes be hard to tell if the drop links are gone by wriggling them, best to hold the anti roll bar where it's joined to the bottom of the drop link and try moving the roll bar up and down, if your drop links are gone then you will hear and feel it.

Remove a drop link and drive it round the block.

If the knock disappears, you can rule out drop links and ARB bushes.

If it's still there, you've found your problem.

most likely front anti-roll bar bushes. They make a thud when going over bumps. The drop-links tend to creak.

Did you use cheap drop links? if so they might have started to fail after a year. Pull them firmly with the car grounded to check for movement in the ball joints.

yeah there ebay ones so cheap ish. ill give them another tug see if I can move them