What's new

Noise from drive belt area

Can you post a video of the belt area when it is making this noise? I can't say for sure about the petrol models, but the diesel model has an issue with alternator bearings, though these are usually caused by an older belt arrangement.

On mine I had to replace the alternator pulley also. It is a one way pulley and the noise from it is usually intermittent and sounds like a very rough bearing, last up to 30 seconds before disappearing completely.

What sort of mileage is on the car and what year is it?

Aircon compressor. Thats the sort of noise mine made for 6 months before it seized.

I didn't know that there was a shorter belt for the 2.0 petrol, I thought it was only the 2.2 diesel that had this.

Anyway my car is the 2.4 petrol, the aux belt is runs under the tensioner in the same way as your photo, and the arrow is in the same position. AFAIK the arrow should be within the square indentation.

Yeah that's right, brain fart there, its the big rectangle that's the guide, not the small square

Ok making progress on identifying the problem here:

Photo%20Feb%2027,%209%2035%2036.jpg

The arrow is clearly to the right of where it should be, so does that indicate an issue with the belt or the tensioner?

The belt has stretched, it needs a new one. My old 7th Gen (2L petrol) needed one about every 30K. It used to make a noise for about 5 secs when started from cold when it needed a new belt.

Great feedback Richard than you very much